• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who said mainframe programmers were safe?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who said mainframe programmers were safe?

.... I think it was the bogeyman. He said that no indian can replace a mainframe programmer as it's too complicated, requires too much experience, blah blah.

They just outsourced the whole department of 20 people here to the India office.

Any similar case?
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

this is darwinism in action

we have to adapt to survive

simple as

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post

simple as

Milan.
      Agreed. Let's all train to SAP, still groovy train there...
      Last edited by Francko; 10 May 2009, 11:30.
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post

simple as

Milan.
        Simple as what?

Comment

Originally posted by stackpole View Post
          Simple as what?
          simple as

Milan

Comment

Happened at *name deleted - big electrical retailer*. They regretted it big time. Lot more than 20 people though. They're now trying to get back the people that they made redundant. Serves 'em right, I say.

It's the bean counters, they think they can save a few pennies by hiring our swarthy cousins, but the fact is that they (often) are poor quality, communication is a nightmare, and they're in a different time zone FFS!

I need to lie down.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
              simple as

Milan
              Your best effort in 3552 goes.

Well done!

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
                Happened at *name deleted - big electrical retailer*. They regretted it big time. Lot more than 20 people though. They're now trying to get back the people that they made redundant. Serves 'em right, I say.

It's the bean counters, they think they can save a few pennies by hiring our swarthy cousins, but the fact is that they (often) are poor quality, communication is a nightmare, and they're in a different time zone FFS!
                Are those subcontinentals any better at mainframe than they are at other s**t?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  Are those subcontinentals any better at mainframe than they are at other s**t?
                  That doesn't really matter.

They are cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                    That doesn't really matter.

They are cheaper.
                    yeah, bunch of us were talking about off shoring the other day.

Per day cost sounds incredibly cheap up front, but what isn't taken into account is that a project will end up taking twice as long as scheduled, and be a pile of tulip, which triples maintenance and extensibility costs.

Comment

Working...
                    X