• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do not Pass Go , Do not collect £200

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do not Pass Go , Do not collect £200

I bet everybody recognises that phrase, it's part of the national psyche. Monopoly - simple game , simple rules.

But what is the most outrageous rules interpretation you ever came across when playing the game ? My brother will only play if we agree to his interpretation of the 'GO' square, i.e. you only get £200 if you land directly on 'GO'

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Official Rules

If the player lands on or passes Go he receives £200 from the bank, unless he is going directly to Jail either by landing on "Go to Jail", drawing a Chance or Community Chest card directing the player to Jail or rolling three sets of doubles in a row. A player cannot receive any "Go" money if he/she forgot to get it when passing.

House Rules

Varies depending on the player, however it should be in agreement by all parties involved in the game.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      My brother will only play if we agree to his interpretation of the 'GO' square, i.e. you only get £200 if you land directly on 'GO'
      He is totally wrong of course. Does it make you want to stab him?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        He is totally wrong of course. Does it make you want to stab him?
        Not at all. I always go into the game with some 500's up my sleeve

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)

Comment

I bet everybody recognises that phrase, it's part of the national psyche. Monopoly - simple game , simple rules.

But what is the most outrageous rules interpretation you ever came across when playing the game ? My brother will only play if we agree to his interpretation of the 'GO' square, i.e. you only get £200 if you land directly on 'GO'

aka Parliamentary expenses

Comment

No one will play Monopoly with me anymore
            Apparently It's cos I always turn into a maniacal, money grabbing, slum landlord and win.

And as for scrabble....

I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Not at all. I always go into the game with some 500's up my sleeve
              Oh. Well does that make him want to stab you?

When I used to play with my kids, we always ended the game at first-man-out and had a total-up. Against the rules but it saved time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                No one will play Monopoly with me anymore
                Apparently It's cos I always turn into a maniacal, money grabbing, slum landlord and win.

And as for scrabble....

do you know why it is called monopoly ?

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)

Comment

do you know why it is called monopoly ?
                  It's named after the game, isn't it?

Comment

I refuse to play monopoly because I don't want to waste 3 days of my life.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X