• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you?

Got a 12 month gig oop North, and am about 3 months in. Missing the family terribly and expecting a new baby (3rd child) in about 5 weeks. I haven't been looking as I have a gig. I got headhunted for a gig in London a couple of weeks ago, and let my CV go forward. I haven't heard any more on that one but, would you? I mean, I would feel bad switching contracts, but I do miss my family. Could this backfire, or should I be looking around? Being a contractor is supposed to be about freedom isn't it?

I put it to the panel.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Get Skype and a video cam.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

I wouldn't hesitate. Dog eat dog, look after no 1 and all that. Sacrifice time with my child for a job? What on earth for?

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
        Get Skype and a video cam.
        I do already. It's hardly the same though is it?

Comment

True, but the reason you are away Oop North is to bring in the money to provide for your family in the first place.

So Skype and a videocam is a compromise.
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Is contracting for you? I think not. Even if you landed a gig locally, in a few months time you can be in the same position and working away again.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              I do already. It's hardly the same though is it?
              It's all to do with your state of mind, if you get a problem, change your mind , not your job.
              You see, its like this, whether you are stressed or relaxed, its still the same amount of money
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                I wouldn't hesitate. Dog eat dog, look after no 1 and all that. Sacrifice time with my child for a job? What on earth for?
                Exactly. Life's too short to put up with a contract that you don't want to be in. If the shoe was on the other foot, ClientCo would terminate your contract without a second thought.
                I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

How far away are you from home, is it worthwhile to do:

Monday - travel to site
                  Tuesday evening - fly home
                  Wednesday - work from home
                  Thursday - travel to site
                  Friday evening - fly home

Could work, n'est pas?

Comment

So the panel is split on this one.

Comment

Working...
                    X