• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permy Interviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permy Interviews

Anyone else struggling to get motivated over a permy job interview? All I can come up with is:

a) I probably won’t get it anyway.
    b) Just go along for the experience.

I just can’t get excited about earning half what I potentially could as a contractor, on the other hand who knows how deep the recession really is? How long could it go on for? Will the contracting market get even worse? All things that may make a permy role seem more attractive.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Anyone else struggling to get motivated over a permy job interview? All I can come up with is:

I just can’t get excited about earning half what I potentially could as a contractor, on the other hand who knows how deep the recession really is? How long could it go on for? Will the contracting market get even worse? All things that may make a permy role seem more attractive.
    If you don't want it there are millions unemployed that do.

Comment

Know exactly what you mean mate, I was in your position this time last year, and due to my financial situation (only earner in the family currenty) I had to take a permie job. I'm no job market guru but could see this coming and I am tucked away in a permie job, 10 mins from my house. Decent enough salary for what I do. In the interview, I was honest enough to tell the guy I needed a job, as the consultant market is dying on its @rse. Unfortunately I have to put up with all the sh1te that goes with it (appraisals, pretending to care about company performance etc.)
      I will be back to contracting however, as I enjoy the variety of the roles and the people you meet, not to mention the cash.
      if you need the money, you'll take it , if not you won't

Comment

Why not apply for things that will get you some programming/development experience so you can bump your rate up a bit? I seem to remember you were interested in this?
        Interview practice is always good and you never know what other opportunities may come from it.
        Good luck anyway
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

The danger of going to a permie job that you don't want, is that you might get it. During the 2000 downturn, I went along just for the heck of it, quoted a ridiculous salary expectation... and got offered the job.

Turns out the guy who interviewed me, handed his notice in the next day, and I got his job, which was considerably more senior than the one I was interviewed for.

Turned out to be a great job. Really enjoyed it for two years, until I market conditions could sustain my contracting rates.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Anyone else struggling to get motivated over a permy job interview?
            Practicting interviews is important. Think of it as free consultancy being provided to you to help with your interview technique.
            Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

If you're struggling to get motivated for the interview, wait till you're doing the job! I went permy 10 months ago, working for a consultancy full of droids. I find myself shaking my head when people ask questions in meetings about the direction of the business, thinking you sad pathetic gits, get a life and forget about work. Its sad, and I will be out of here as soon as the market picks up again. On the plus side I've had a steady income over the last year.

Comment

Interview went well, it turns out they want someone to single-handedly administer 150 users spread over 8 sites, the same person would be responsible for the entire network and servers, the same person would also be responsible for the entire budget and refresh programme.

All for 24k, I wish them well in their search for a mug.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Interview went well, it turns out they want someone to single-handedly administer 150 users spread over 8 sites, the same person would be responsible for the entire network and servers, the same person would also be responsible for the entire budget and refresh programme.

Comment

ginger,

think of the bench fund - it's not a great deal of cash but it'll get you out the house and thinking again
                    Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
                    I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X