• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone working in Brussels?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone working in Brussels?

whats the cost of living like out there? I'm looking at a job in Brussels at the mo, but suspect its not gonna pay very well when I take out all my flights and hotels etc.(I shall be traveling home every weekend)
    How much do your expenses come to every month?
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Depends where you live in the city and where you fly to (and who with).

There is a good range of flats between 600 and 1000 Euro.
    Flights to MAN were coming in at between 150 and 200 quid. First flight Monday is 350 one way normally.

Do not assume that your hours will be flexible enough to allow travel. Some firms insist on core hours and the flight times then bugger up your weekend or your wallet.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Brussels

I'm in Brussels at the moment - main expenses for me are

Housing (inc bills) - €1100
      Travel (eurostar) - €600 (around 150 a trip, going home most weekends)

Plus food etc and whatever else you're claiming. Mentally I budget around £2000/month expenses.

Let me know if you have more questions. Housing you can get for cheaper if you're staying longer, plus most landlords are open to negotiation on the rent. Flights to LHR vs Eurostar are about the same price but Eurostar is much less hassle then flying. I sometimes fly if the eurostar is too pricey.

Comment

I've just landed a contract in Brussells myself. From my investigations there seem to be loads of good accommodation for around €450 - €600. Travel on Eurostar as well is cheap (as low as £59 return if you book in advance).

BTW Torango what Payment solution do you use? Limited or Umbrella co. Can i use my UK limited Co while working in Brussels?

Cheers

Comment

Brussels

brussel is cheap when you consider rip-off britain (and Paris, Milano and such) you can find a decent flat from 600 eur

Comment

I don't know about costs of living but I know an excellent Italian restaurant; Trulli on Rue Jourdan near the Avenue Louise. When I say excellent, I really mean it; it's a Piemontese restaurant, probably one of the best italian restaurants in Europe and it isn't even all that expensive.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I would check out this thread before you commit too

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...connexion.html

There are some real issues in Belgium and friends I have already there are considering getting out due to taxes making the rates look silly.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Aye Poogle

Dont miss the marvellous restaurant in Schaarbeek (home of singer Jacques Brel) The Ultimate Hullucination - Charles Rene Mackintosh was involved with the desgin.

Yes you can get accomodation from around 500 E per month - Summer is very god due to the massive free music festival they have in the city.

I really enjoyed my two years in Brux.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  I don't know about costs of living but I know an excellent Italian restaurant; Trulli on Rue Jourdan near the Avenue Louise. When I say excellent, I really mean it; it's a Piemontese restaurant, probably one of the best italian restaurants in Europe and it isn't even all that expensive.
                  You did a runner when the Bill arrived?
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    You did a runner when the Bill arrived?
                    If only; the food was generally quite affordable but my penchant for vintage Barolos and Mrs Tester's love of truffles was a bit of an assault on the credit card.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X