• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Energy Saver Light Bulbs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Energy Saver Light Bulbs

Thinking of changing to those. Example:

Hall light: takes 4 bulbs, currently 25W. Candle bulbs (they are visible so shape matters), SBC, on dimmer.

Nearest I can find online: 7W dimmable SBC, £10.95 each. What, 44 quid to change the bulbs in one light?

Yes, I know the answer: throw away the light fitting and buy a new one, to get bulbs that fit. I call that the tail wagging the dog. What gets my back up is that there are loads of web sites, like http://www.energy-savers.co.uk from British Gas, that pretend that all the problems are myths. They claim that they are not expensive, they are available in most fittings, and they can be fitted to a dimmer. Ah yes, but if you pick any 2 of those then you can't have the 3rd.

Plan B: stock up on a lifetime supply of classic bulbs.

Originally posted by expat View Post
    Thinking of changing to those. Example:

Hall light: takes 4 bulbs, currently 25W. Candle bulbs (they are visible so shape matters), SBC, on dimmer.

Nearest I can find online: 7W dimmable SBC, £10.95 each. What, 44 quid to change the bulbs in one light?

Yes, I know the answer: throw away the light fitting and buy a new one, to get bulbs that fit. I call that the tail wagging the dog. What gets my back up is that there are loads of web sites, like http://www.energy-savers.co.uk from British Gas, that pretend that all the problems are myths. They claim that they are not expensive, they are available in most fittings, and they can be fitted to a dimmer. Ah yes, but if you pick any 2 of those then you can't have the 3rd.

Plan B: stock up on a lifetime supply of classic bulbs.
    Last edited by tino; 12 May 2009, 08:21. Reason: im an idiot
    Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
    I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

Standard energy savers a very cheap, as low as 49p from the supermarkets so 10 or 20 times the price does seem a little excessive, I've got 5 rooms with dimmers and multiple bulbs so I'll be stocking up on ‘old tech’ too.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I've tried fitting them to dimmers, and they don't dim at all. When I turn the dimmer swithch down, they make an increasingly loud humming noise, but the brightness isn't reduced.
        If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you!

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          Standard energy savers a very cheap, as low as 49p from the supermarkets so 10 or 20 times the price does seem a little excessive, I've got 5 rooms with dimmers and multiple bulbs so I'll be stocking up on ‘old tech’ too.
          My post which I edited may be useful to you then mate.

Dunelm Mill were doing ten normal energy savers for a quid - 10pence EACH

I bought 50 of them

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigD View Post
            I've tried fitting them to dimmers, and they don't dim at all. When I turn the dimmer swithch down, they make an increasingly loud humming noise, but the brightness isn't reduced.
            Are you saying that the £10 dimmable energy saving bulbs don't work? Or are you just using standard ones?
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by tino View Post
              My post which I edited may be useful to you then mate.

Dunelm Mill were doing ten normal energy savers for a quid - 10pence EACH

I bought 50 of them
              Are going to pass them down to the grandchildren then?

Comment

Are going to pass them down to the grandchildren then?
                blan b my friend

HTH

Comment

Are you saying that the £10 dimmable energy saving bulbs don't work? Or are you just using standard ones?
                  Hmmm...Sorry, I didn't realise you could get dimmable energy saving bulbs...

Not sure what ones I have, but as they don't dim, I presume they're not the dimmable ones!
                  If at first you don't succeed... skydiving is not for you!

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigD View Post
                    Hmmm...Sorry, I didn't realise you could get dimmable energy saving bulbs...

Not sure what ones I have, but as they don't dim, I presume they're not the dimmable ones!
                    Ladies and Gentlemen, deductive reasoning at its very best!

Comment

Working...
                    X