• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dear Mr Darling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Mr Darling

Please find below my suggestion for fixing Britain 's economy.

Instead of giving billions of pounds to banks that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan.

You can call it the Patriotic Retirement Plan:

There are about 20 million people over 50 in the work force. Pay them £1 million apiece severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1) They MUST retire. Twenty million job openings - Unemployment fixed

2) They MUST buy a new British car. Twenty million cars ordered - Auto Industry fixed

3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - Housing Crisis fixed

4) They MUST send their kids to school/college/university - Crime rate fixed

5) They MUST buy £50 of alcohol/tobacco a week .....and there's your money back in duty/tax etc

It can't get any easier than that!

P.S. If more money is needed, have all members of parliament pay back thier falsely claimed expenses and second home allowances

Cant lay claim to this one. I received it in my email this morning.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

Instead of giving billions of pounds to banks that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan.

There are about 20 million people over 50 in the work force. Pay them £1 million apiece severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

2) They MUST buy a new British car. Twenty million cars ordered - Auto Industry fixed

3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - Housing Crisis fixed

5) They MUST buy £50 of alcohol/tobacco a week .....and there's your money back in duty/tax etc

P.S. If more money is needed, have all members of parliament pay back thier falsely claimed expenses and second home allowances

Probably cheaper than saving the banks.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

It's been doing the round for some time, but it has merit.

So long as they wait a few weeks then I'll be covered

1) OK, I can do that. However, I work for myself, in my own business, based abroad; so this is not going to help unemloyment much.

2) Don't drive and don't need one. Can't help you there.

3) Already have a UK property without a mortage. I've been looking for a nice place abroad so I'll do that instead.

4) No kids. Can't help with than one.

5) Booze I CAN help with. While I'm in the UK anyway.

HAB, glad to do his bit.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

20 million people over 50, that's a 1/3rd of the population!

The main problem with the proposals, if implemented would be massive immigration from Eastern Europe to take up the jobs on offer.
        This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

.....use the following plan.

There are about 20 million people over 50 in the work force.
          No way! Total population, working and not working, in age groups 50-69 is less than 13 million. See e.g. http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2...s/pages/UK.asp

Don't believe everything on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            No way! Total population, working and not working, in age groups 50-69 is less than 13 million. See e.g. http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2...s/pages/UK.asp

Don't believe everything on the internet.
            Did you have your sense of humour surgically removed or did it wither, die and drop off of its own accord due to lack of use?

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

sorted!

Comment

But there's no reason people making stupid internet chain-letters can't get the facts right... sounds like the real figures don't make the idea any less credible
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Did you have your sense of humour surgically removed or did it wither, die and drop off of its own accord due to lack of use?

Welcome back TLG, you've been missed.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post

Welcome back TLG, you've been missed.
                    Thanks mate, nice to be appreciated.
                    Not really been away, just observing a self imposed posting ban.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Working...
                    X