• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Treated like a permie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treated like a permie

In this current gig, I am providing BA and system architecture services. Everyone seems to get it. One of the senior BAs keeps talking to me like I am a code monkey. It's water off a ducks back to me, and I find it amusing as I can keep chucking advanced concepts into the conversation to completely throw her.

Do others ever get treated as just the next code chump, when they have so much more to offer? Does this concern you? What ways do you deal with this?

And, do you try and differentiate yourself from the perms, but say offering bug tracking services? I have a bug tracking system I use, and ClientCo is still using etch-sketchers, I have tried to get them to adopt a formal approach but not getting anywhere. I am sorely tempted to empty the spreadsheets into my database and use this loud and proud at any review meetings.

To the panel.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Ir35
    Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
    I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by tino View Post
      Ir35
      They're bored of me telling them.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        They're bored of me telling them.
        I have had it in the past, just be careful.

IMO I would use your bug tracking system to hopefully convert them and at least then you will have brought something tangible to the business rather than just being an arse on a chair

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          In this current gig, I am providing BA and system architecture services. Everyone seems to get it. One of the senior BAs keeps talking to me like I am a code monkey. It's water off a ducks back to me, and I find it amusing as I can keep chucking advanced concepts into the conversation to completely throw her.

Do others ever get treated as just the next code chump, when they have so much more to offer? Does this concern you? What ways do you deal with this?

And, do you try and differentiate yourself from the perms, but say offering bug tracking services? I have a bug tracking system I use, and ClientCo is still using etch-sketchers, I have tried to get them to adopt a formal approach but not getting anywhere. I am sorely tempted to empty the spreadsheets into my database and use this loud and proud at any review meetings.

To the panel.
          Get rid of your delusions and get the job done.

Simples.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            Get rid of your delusions and get the job done.

Simples.
            Delusional, do you have the first idea who you are talking to!!!!!!!!

Comment

Every job I've done (bar two) I've been treated this way. It's a control thing and can be quite frustrating, but they are the customer and if they don't want to get their money's worth it's their choice.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                Every job I've done (bar two) I've been treated this way. It's a control thing and can be quite frustrating, but they are the customer and if they don't want to get their money's worth it's their choice.
                I did approach the head of department and said I was being under utilised. He said he was keen to get more out of me. Again these things need to come from the top.

I have a reasonable level of respect from the main bunch. There is just one awkward one with a chip on her shoulder. She is like this with the other contractors so I try not to take it too personally. I do think that she would put the knife in given the chance though.

Comment

At clientco they have tried to give me an appraisal and objectives

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    At clientco they have tried to give me an appraisal and objectives

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X