• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bench - 6 weeks and counting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bench - 6 weeks and counting

.. i've just been informed

so, do I

a) look for work and expect nothing or a ridiculously low rate
    b) start planning a 6 month backpacking trip (minus gf chef as she has to work)
    c) look for permie work
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Nice time to be benched. Take the summer off and worry about it in September.

Comment

Keep plugging away at it, but take your laptop out in the garden and enjoy the sun. Things will improve. Good luck
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Yeah, enjoy the sun.

September is a good month for getting a new contract.
        Originally posted by cailin maith
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
          .. i've just been informed

so, do I

a) look for work and expect nothing or a ridiculously low rate
          b) start planning a 6 month backpacking trip (minus gf chef as she has to work)
          c) look for permie work
          If you have funds in the warchest, Option B!
          I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

Split the difference. Plan a two month trip, get GF to join for two weeks in the middle, and then be back in september for the usual post summer uptick in roles.
            The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
              Yeah, enjoy the sun.

September is a good month for getting a new contract.
              I thought that last year - got one in April!
              Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
              I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

(a) but don't bother looking that hard.
                Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

I'm too old for all this hassle just to secure a 3 monther on 1994 rates (excluding inflation). After being talked to like a kid from a 25 year old pimp I am changing tack as of today.

If rates are so poor for the dazzling array of skills in each ad then I may as well only apply for the dross. I'm only going to do work that means no travel or remote scraps for minimum wage if necessary. I ain't travelling 150 miles a day for £150 that's for sure.

I will consider perm work but only for the right place and price, otherwise they can shove that as well.

I have a couple of plan Bs - one is the age-old one that I can utilise some of my 100% home equity to fund, the others are just fill-ins. Heck, even part-time supermarket work could form part of this - £8 an hour unskilled with no IR35, constant retraining/relocation etc. Buying and selling low value items on flea-bay can generate some beer money.

The sum of the parts of these should pay as well as these contracts that everyone is prepared to take these days.

Too much supply and not enough demand means I have to diversify for the sake of my sanity if nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
                    Split the difference. Plan a two month trip, get GF to join for two weeks in the middle, and then be back in september for the usual post summer uptick in roles.
                    no can do, gf chef is a teacher and therefore cannot take time off only in school holidays.

.. although, she is going to be out of from June until Spetember, I totally forgot

BOOMED !!! a backpacking we shall go
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X