• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I need your ID verified

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need your ID verified

I've been contracting for a few years and this is a first. I've had an interview, been offered and verbally accepted the contract, and filled out a ton of forms at the agencies request.

However the agent is now requesting that I go to their office to 'confirm my ID':

I need your ID verified in a <agency name removed> Office, can you please confirm which area you would like to go to and I'll arrange it.

I offered an email scan of my passport before I received the above response, bearing in my mind the nearest office is 6 miles away and so quite an inconvenience/time drain would you say the request is unreasonable?
    You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
    would you say the request is unreasonable?
    Does it matter whether or not it's unreasonable? It's almost certainly less effort than going through the hassle of finding and being offered a different gig.

6 miles? I mean, seriously.

Comment

If the agency is named after a season its normal practise. 6 miles isn't far so I'd do it. however If I was asked to drive for 200 miles then I might be reluctant.

Comment

Originally posted by GardenGirl View Post
        If the agency is named after a season its normal practise. 6 miles isn't far so I'd do it. however If I was asked to drive for 200 miles then I might be reluctant.
        that is the most pathetic attempt at hiding a name as I have surely ever seen
        Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
        I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by tino View Post
          that is the most pathetic attempt at hiding a name as I have surely ever seen
          Glad you like it but couldn't think how to describe them any other way (other than devious and like to change payment terms at whim but I think that sums up most agencies)

Comment

For identity verification, the company only has its arse covered if they meet the individual in person. Through the post or via email isn't sufficient.

I do enjoy telling that to agencies.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Tell them you are opting out. ID is then not required you are a company providing services, end of. Did you ask for a copy of the plumber's passport when the new washing machine was fitted?

This is a belts and braces approach by agencies who don't know what they are doing and ultimately exposes you to fraud by passing your details to every tom dick and harry.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I opted in for various reasons, but the PCG website stated that agency regulations specify ID checking but not the method, which is why it grates me a bit - it's clearly a procedure they created and not legislation.

No bother - guess I'll go to their office so that they can photocopy my passoprt rather than me sending them a scan

Thanks for the responses.
                You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
                  ...........However the agent is now requesting that I go to their office to 'confirm my ID':

I need your ID verified in a <agency name removed> Office, can you please confirm which area you would like to go to and I'll arrange it.
                  Dear <any pimp>
                  Looking forward to meeting up with you to confirm my ID - I have scheduled you in for 10 minutes at x o'clock on y date at my office.

Thanx

Comment

I think you will find that they are supposed to establish your ID BEFORE introducing you to the client.

Politely refuse. If they say they can not act as your agent then thank them for their time and go direct with the client.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X