• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Intra Company Transfers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intra Company Transfers

This is on Shout99 at the mo...

Radio 4 programme File on 4 is asking to talk to contractors who have had experience of intra-company transfers.
    The programme is examining the Government's visa policies at a time when Ministers say they are putting British workers first.
    They wish to record testimony from IT consultants who have experienced the phenomena of intra-company transfers - where they have seen people coming into the workplace from overseas or where they have found themselves out of work because of job displacement.

They recognise that this can be a sensitive subject and that people may be wary about speaking out (and can take steps to protect people's identities, if need be) but feel it is important to try and highlight what many people regard as a failure of public policy.

The producer, David Lewis, can be contacted on 0161 244 3932 or 07710 013287 or email: [email protected]

In addition to this request to talk directly to contractors, I will pass on any comments posted here of relevance.

I don't know if any of you lot would be interested
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ht=David+Lewis
    Last edited by chef; 13 May 2009, 07:54.
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
      <snip>
      He already posted a similar request here. Not sure if anyone is talking to him mind.

edit: Damn that chef is quick.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Ok - should have checked before posting!
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I've spoken to him.

Who else?

Comment

I was going to especially as the team of 10 that I was working in all got cut and replaced by Indians working offshore and onshore and solely because the client hadn't made enough money and it was on the govt Connecting for Health project - but it might not be 'good to talk'

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
              I was going to especially as the team of 10 that I was working in all got cut and replaced by Indians working offshore and onshore and solely because the client hadn't made enough money and it was on the govt Connecting for Health project - but it might not be 'good to talk'
              I emailed him. He seems reasonable. He wants to do face to face interviews if poss and he has said he will hide identities.
              It is a real chance for one of ours to make the points we have been discussing for years about undermining UK jobs and employment law, not to mention the (flawed) FTV system.
              You seem a reasonable bloke to so wont come across as some rabid twat with a chip on his shoulder.
              This country is bleeding itself dry. Jobs are going, skills are going, kids see no point in joining these industries. The tax take is down and we are supporting more and more unemployed who cant get a job they are qualified and skilled at because of intras.

Sorry starting to rant.

Go on, talk to him.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

He says it can all be anonymous.... don't want to put future chances of jobs at risk, but it is an important topic and the more it can be publicised the better.

Give him a call and see what you think; you don't have to tell him your name.

Comment

I absolutely agree with Lone Gunman. I'm especially worried about the future of the industry in this country.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                    This country is bleeding itself dry. Jobs are going, skills are going, kids see no point in joining these industries. The tax take is down and we are supporting more and more unemployed who cant get a job they are qualified and skilled at because of intras.

Comment

Working...
                    X