• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sandhurst

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandhurst

So, apart from being Royalty or as fat as threaded, what does it take to get into Sandhurst?

Originally posted by AtW
    So, apart from being Royalty or as fat as threaded, what does it take to get into Sandhurst?
    Thinking of applying?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW

Go on apply...learn a trade
      http://www.army.mod.uk/careers/officer/app_process.htm

Comment

I did not ask how to apply - from what I understand Sandhurst is elite military place, thus not everybody can get in, hence the question: what it TAKES to get in there?

Comment

what makes you think it is elite? It is where all army officers do their training, as is Cranwell for the RAF and wherever the senior service do theirs, Dartmouth?

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
            I did not ask how to apply - from what I understand Sandhurst is elite military place, thus not everybody can get in, hence the question: what it TAKES to get in there?

I think you missed the point! Are you just looking for "self importance"?

"The first step for any candidate is usually an advisory interview, offering the chance to discuss the wide variety of opportunities available. If you are at school or university, this will normally be conducted by an Army Careers Advisor and can be arranged though your career staff. You can also arrange a trip to a regiments or corps that interest you for an interview and/or familiarisation visits. These trips allow you to meet recently commissioned officers and see them at work."

Sounds very "elite"

Comment

A more interesting question would be: What does it take to get accepted as an officer in say, the household cavalry?

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

A work colleague informs me that Sandhurst looks for real leadership ability, so they take comprehensive lads rather than public and grammar school lads. His father was in the army, so he claims to know what he's talking about. He usually talks b0ll0cks, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was crap.

I always thought it was for OEs.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
                  what makes you think it is elite? It is where all army officers do their training, as is Cranwell for the RAF and wherever the senior service do theirs, Dartmouth?

thats not all they do there, they have some sort of a university/training place to teach senior army people on war strategies, i.e. lesson learnt from previous wars / weapons used etc...

A friend of the family is working there, he has a PhD from Cambridge university, published about 10 books, and is interviewed on the TV regularly... so I think your chances AtW are not great ...

Btw: the family friend I know is very very fat too ... perhaps it is a criteria then !!

Comment

STAGE 5
                    MEDICAL BOARD
                    All candidates for a commission are required to pass a military Medical Board before going to the Regular Commissions Board (RCB), being accepted at Welbeck College, or being awarded an Army Scholarship.

To pass as physically fit you must be in good physical and mental health. You do not have to be super-fit at this stage. However, you will need to demonstrate that you have the potential to develop your physical fitness to meet the demands of Sandhurst and your future commitments as an officer.

Like bumming your fellow officers?

Comment

Working...
                    X