• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you value a domain name?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you value a domain name?

I've received an unsolicited email from someone who says they want to buy one of the domains I have registered. I'm willing to sell as I've done FA with it these last few years, but I've no idea how to price it.

Anyone used any of the "domain name appraisal services" ? Seems to me they're just trying to make a fast $20 themselves.

I suppose the value depends on what it's going to be used for, e.g. name of a amateur rock band = zero value (until they hit the big time) whereas name of the "next big thing" = worth a fortune. Who knows!

Depends on what you think the potential value is.

Why not try selling it to them for 1% of the company?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Tell you what, wish I owned www.google.com

reckon that one's pretty valuable.
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Didn't Dominnos recently purchase pizza.com for $5M?

Comment

Is it not the case that if you agree to sell the name then you have effectively lost rights to have the name?

Apple got itunes.co.uk off someone for that.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
            Tell you what, wish I owned www.google.com

reckon that one's pretty valuable.
            Also a typo alledgedly of Googol. (which in case you didn't already know is
            100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,00 0,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 )
            "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
            "See?"

Comment

Would the name be of value to anyone else?

A friend owned a company called "it works" : then some big company decided to create an offshoot of same name. In the end he gor £5k + legal costs : it took months.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Would the name be of value to anyone else?
                Yes it's quite a good name for a certain sort of service industry - an industry that has grown pretty rapidly recently (and I'm cross that when I had the idea 10 years ago - before anyone else - I didn't follow through with it. Oh well. Could have been a millionaire but I was too effin lazy )

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  Yes it's quite a good name for a certain sort of service industry - an industry that has grown pretty rapidly recently (and I'm cross that when I had the idea 10 years ago - before anyone else - I didn't follow through with it. Oh well. Could have been a millionaire but I was too effin lazy )
                  Is it for a brothel?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Is it for a brothel?
                    swinefludrugs.com

Comment

Working...
                    X