• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reasons why you dont get the contract...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reasons why you dont get the contract...

Had a good one yesterday, aced the technical test (saw the results - 92%), wrote a webservice based app, but got turned down as 'I hadnt shaved or ironed my tie properly'. Yes, it was for a bank.

Now, I do tend to have a slight element of stubble - not even 5 o'clock shadow - women seem to like it... but I thought a tailored Boss suit, Italian silk tie, and DKNY shirt put the scruffy techie and manager to shame - it was casual dress there with jeans and a polo shirt!

If I hadnt taken my suit jacket off id have got it. My how myself and the agent laughed at that one ...

P.S turned down the Luxembourg job as wanted to see how things worked out with my new lady. A day later at 5.30am we had a row and she dumped me - theres a lesson there somewhere! Still persistent as always im hopefully meeting her 'as a friend' on thursday. Ill make sure I shave......
    Vieze Oude Man

Bad luck there mc, that's a bobbins reason for not getting the gig. We try to dress to impress but not to intimidate, but sometimes we just can't win. The scruffy oiks probably have a chip on their shoulder.

Stubble? No problem. Tell them that you always give your valet Trafalgar day off.

Green tick for the Italian silk tie. I've never heard of ironing a tie. It sounds like a neurotic lower middle class way to be spending one's time. Rolling it up afer use will be sufficient to remove creases and restore the sheen, be it silk or p*****ster. Ironing I'd imagine would just squash the thing and rumple the edges. Of course if your 'Italian silk tie' had a picture of Sonic the Hedgehog on it all bets are off.

Big red cross for the DKNY shirt, you brand-dazzled chav you. Proper Donna Karan would be bad enough; the cut-price DKNY sub-brand not just shallow, but unethical too. Only about 1% of the price would have gone to the Bangladeshi eight-year-old that made it. Got to be Jermyn Street all the way for shirts I'm afraid, though Emmet had a good season two years ago.

Not sure about the suit. Extra points for not going entirely off the peg, but points deducted for the yankee brand name. If a Stetson hat is inappropriate for a given situation, so too is the rest of an American wardrobe.

But as you'll be well aware, style is more than a collection of garments. Plus the shoe maketh the man, so maybe your green flip-flops let the look down.

Good luck with the lady. I'm sure she'll appreciate the reprieve from beard-burn.

Comment

Tough break

The only way is up!!!!

You need the downs to appreciate the ups - and I guess you'll get both with your new friend next week

Comment

Originally posted by vista
        The only way is up!!!!
        You need the downs to appreciate the ups - and I guess you'll get both with your new friend next week
        Went to do a gig in Washington DC a few years ago (US government).

Checked the weather and it was 30c plus, very warm so decided to wear my nice causal Italian light cream suit with brown shoes and a cream shirt and pink tie.

Walked into a room full of propeller heads dressed like mormons, all with black suits and highly polished black shoes they took one look at me and said who the f@@@@ is that?

Needless to say, it was an interesting gig.

Being a Brit can cover a multitude of sins, they all think we are ecentric anyway.

- Mcquiggd, hope you get the lady and the job you desire, perhaps try for the best of both worlds? - sounds like the Lady is more important.
        Last edited by ancient; 22 October 2005, 17:23.

Comment

Thunderlizard - cheers for the tips (it is actually Donna Karan - the proper type not the high street stores)...

My guess is that the techie permie didnt want someone that made him look dumb - after discussing my CV for 30 minutes out of the hour the manager turned to the techie and said 'do you have any questions for mcquiggd?' and he just said 'erm, no, i think hes covered everything....'....

And yes Ancient you are right - the lady is more important to me... I can always find another contract but a woman you click with just doesnt happen every day....had dinner with the parents and her mum said to me 'you know, I have to warn you, Emily is Emily - youll have to be very strong.. but I wholeheartedly approve of you and am really pleased about it all'. 6 hours later Emily woke up in my arms on the sofa, declared she was going to bed and like a fool rather than just kiss her goodbye and go find a taxi I answered back 'youre throwing me out like the trash' - text messages all over the shop and that was it. Sigh. Thats two easily avoided mistakes in one week...
          Last edited by mcquiggd; 22 October 2005, 09:57.
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Well let that be a lesson.

An important question to ask the agent is 'What floats the interviewers boat?"

Are they techy or management? Are they casual or professional?

On the whole I dress in a plain Burtons style suit to interviews. Nothing to flashy - dont talk about the Porsche, Villa in Tenerife, private Jet etc.

But if you did turn up looking like a Trinny & Suzanna reject then on the whole I would have given you the job.

Its always good to have someone in the office to take the piss out of!
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

And yes Ancient you are right - the lady is more important to me... I can always find another contract but a woman you click with just doesnt happen every day....had dinner with the parents and her mum said to me 'you know, I have to warn you, Emily is Emily - youll have to be very strong.. but I wholeheartedly approve of you and am really pleased about it all'. 6 hours later Emily woke up in my arms on the sofa, declared she was going to bed and like a fool rather than just kiss her goodbye and go find a taxi I answered back 'youre throwing me out like the trash' - text messages all over the shop and that was it. Sigh. Thats two easily avoided mistakes in one week...[/QUOTE]

Sounds like she is playing hard to get, clever creatures these woman, next thing you know it is wedding bells three kids and a mortgage - be careful!
              Last edited by ancient; 22 October 2005, 17:01.

Comment

Sorry McDonald but it sounds like you were thinking with the wrong head over that woman!

Mailman

Comment

Well, who knows.... if we meet up thursday it might all be on again... been there before

In the meantime ive had phone calls about Amsterdam, Brussels and Paris...

Time will tell.
                  Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
                    Well, who knows.... if we meet up thursday it might all be on again... been there before

In the meantime ive had phone calls about Amsterdam, Brussels and Paris...

Time will tell.
                    They do say that men are directly attracted by a woman's ability to reproduce and her fertility, Men often being driven by their loins.

Other things to consider that are often overlooked:

Compatability, e.g. common interests, travel, is her daddy a millionaire, her future earning potential to support you between contracts, shopoholicism, current bank balance and of course - the mother in law.
                    Last edited by ancient; 22 October 2005, 16:03.

Comment

Working...
                    X