• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This would be instant dismissal for the rest of us

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This would be instant dismissal for the rest of us

This would be instant dismissal for the rest of us.

Labour MP Elliot Morley has admitted claiming £16,000 on expenses for a mortgage that did not exist

He was a useless DEFRA minister as well. I remember him overseeing the decline of the UK fishing and agriculture industries. He did nothing for them as their fisheries and markets were surrendered to other EU members.
    Last edited by stackpole; 13 May 2009, 21:51. Reason: ..

I really don't think anyone can expect to believe that his fraud was a "mistake".

if it was a mistake then really he doesn't deserve to be running **** all with accounting skills like that.

Comment

This was all over the news this morning and they were saying that Brown should remove the whip from this guy and effectively make him an independant. Why not sack him? If anybody in any role was caught fiddling their expenses like this they would be facing serious criminal charges.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I would have thought a knock from the fraud squad would have been appropriate.

Is nobody questioning the comptancy of these individuals to run the country? They can't even manage to do their expenses according to a simple set of rules FFS.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
          Why not sack him?
          MPs are not employees. They can be chucked out of the party, kicked off the cabinet, but the PM cannot stop them being MPs.

And that £800 per month or 18 months wasn't a mistake. He was trying it on.
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

HMRC should do him for tax evasion
            The Serious Fraud Office should charge him with fraud
            The Labour Party should kick him out

But I'll bet none of these happen. He'll probably end up as the new speaker, or in the House of Lords.

The OP is right, Morley was also a worse than useless minister.

Comment

Why is he not being prosecuted?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Jacqboots only allows opposition MPs to be prosecuted.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  He'd only be prosecuted for telling the Telegraph.

HTH - Gorbals Mick

Comment

At my previous gig, a technical manager was sacked for fiddling £250 on his expenses...

The police will only investigate if there is a "complaint".

Is there any etiquet over who can make these complaints? Does it have to be Parliament or can anyone do it?

I for one would love to, in fact all of us that have an MP who has been named and shamed should consider it our democratic duty to put in a complaint to the police.

"Come the revolution...." Well that revolution may be already here?

'elf and safety guru

Comment

Working...
                    X