• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investment banking culture

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investment banking culture

Now in my first investment banking contract.

Lots of politics, constant 10 hour working days, unrealistic deadlines, stress.

I've worked in high pressure situations before but there was pressure for a reason, like customer commitments, not only because of silly political battles.

Are they all like this or are some places a little more relaxed?

Errrm, afraid it is always like it, something to do with the money I think. JP used to have a reputation for being a bit more relaxed. Actually 10 hours is pretty good, at GS that is a half-day.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeGregan
      Now in my first investment banking contract.

Lots of politics, constant 10 hour working days, unrealistic deadlines, stress.

I've worked in high pressure situations before but there was pressure for a reason, like customer commitments, not only because of silly political battles.

Are they all like this or are some places a little more relaxed?
      Most IT shops are like this these days, so many projects seem to run the lifecycle in reverse, e.g. decide on the implementation date, pick the technology, recruit the staff, develop the project plan, and then decide on the requirements, add a bit of scope creep and then still stick to the implementation date.

As someone else said on another post if you cannot change the world then change yourself. It is not your problem it is someone elses, so stay sane, of course do your best for what you can personally control, and at the same time dont take it too seriously. People can only jump so high and sometimes the gates are set somewhere in the sky.

Often someone high up in the sky will know the project is not on track and dates are going to slip, but they often don't tell the people bellow, just to keep the pressure on. Two weeks before go live, they might announce, oh the project will be extended by six months or the scope has been cut; So Stay cool.

Sounds like a project/programme management problem and if you are not in charge then it is not yours.
      Last edited by ancient; 21 October 2005, 22:36.

Comment

I'm really sorry about this but I got bored with this post so ....

The one the right is nice.

I might just be tempted to give her one after a few pints. Wouldn't you ?

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyOldMan

Dirty, try this link, it might be some help:

http://www.midlife.com/html/resource...ns/add_men.asp
          Last edited by ancient; 22 October 2005, 16:18.

Comment

I also worked at JPM and the culture used to vary within the company as well - those working in front office usually did 11 hour days. I knew a JPM employee who thought that if she left at 7 PM that it was early - at month-end she would regularly work until midight.

Also, I've seen many of the back office people leaving at 5PM and taking 'ciggie breaks' every hour.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyOldMan

Nah, the one standing on the left is much better
              Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

I worked for a relaxed investment bank, then some tw*t project manager was brought in who thought he could run the show ... he turned out to be an idiot bullsh*tter than did hatchet jobs.

Comment

On the continent, investment banks are about as stressful as a public library ...on Sunday.

Colleagues in London keep sending mails late at night, sometimes well after 6 pm, they don´t seem to understand that in other countries at 5:30 most people go home because they "have a life". In fact on Friday by 3.00 pm the office is almost empty.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Blaster, how easy is it to get a banking gig on the Continent? Do the same rules apply as in London (i.e. previous banking experience a must)?

Comment

Working...
                    X