• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Phone interview with God knows who

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phone interview with God knows who

An agent rang this morning to say a client wanted a phone interview, which is now arranged for 2 pm. She said she had emailed me the job spec, and stupidly I believed her.

However, on checking my emails it turned out she hasn't, and I didn't catch the client's name, or her name, and needless to say her call is logged on my mobile as "private number".

So I have no idea who I'll be talking to, or what skills to emphasise. If I get the gig, I only hope she'll phone again to let me know who and where the the client is before I'm due to start
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Well to be blunt you are a bit of a Numpty.... but good luck anyway!

Comment

Make it clear at the start of the interview that the agent has ballsed it up and ask them to run through the spec with you. Then, when they have done so, with you adding the approriate positive comments along the way, you can say to them

"Well that all sounds fine, can do it for you no problem. When do you want me to start?"

Sorted
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Make it clear at the start of the interview that the agent has ballsed it up and ask them to run through the spec with you. Then, when they have done so, with you adding the approriate positive comments along the way, you can say to them

"Well that all sounds fine, can do it for you no problem. When do you want me to start?"

Sorted

Disagree! Mention you haven't yet received the full job specification, but after that you should wing it.

A reasonable client will sympathise with your position, but an unreasonable one will look at you and the agent as the same thing -- and in a way you are.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Are you quite sure you didn't get an email? Checked your spam recently?
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I seem to remember sometime ago, someone posted the exact same situation. The person that called for the interview was actually another agent from the same office fishing for contacts.
            Originally posted by cailin maith
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

How did the interview/fishing trip go?
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Shortest interview ever?
                Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
                I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

No - I'm on CET.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    First one went fine, and the guy said the CTO would like a chat on the phone too, which I've now also had. So waiting to hear back. Fingers crossed.

I had one or two awkward moments with the second guy, an American ubergeek (although friendly), who was asking demanding questions about design patterns. The problem is I've never delved into all that academic stuff, but I think I convinced him I'm thoroughly familiar with all these patterns without actually knowing what they're officially called
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X