• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In praise of (mostly) honest MP's

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In praise of (mostly) honest MP's

The following have made no or very small expenses claims....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8048215.stm

Good for them.

I propose that Parliament is dissolved and we leave these (mostly) honest MP's to run the country and clear up both the economy and any financial shinanigins remaining from the House of Commons for a year and then see where we are then!

The savings from the remaining (sacked) MP's wages, departmental running costs (wives, offspring, etc), jollies etc would fill the current pensions black hole if nothing else!
    'elf and safety guru

Look at the whole table - all the expenses for all the MP's is almost 93m. 55m of that is staff costs. How many staff do this lot employ?
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
      Look at the whole table - all the expenses for all the MP's is almost 93m. 55m of that is staff costs. How many staff do this lot employ?
      How many of the employees are close family too?

Everyone is just focusing on MPs. What about MEPs and even local councilors? I've been informed that my local county councilor claims about £20k in expenses every year.

Comment

Just typical of the BBC to say 'a handful of Tory MPs do not claim', but no mention of the same phrase with Labour MPs who no doubt are also a handful, but also have far more MPs than the Tories or Liberals.

Comment

Originally posted by crimdon View Post
          How many of the employees are close family too?

Everyone is just focusing on MPs. What about MEPs and even local councilors? I've been informed that my local county councilor claims about £20k in expenses every year.
          Being a councilor is and unpaid job hence they're "expected" to overclaim expenses, that's been known for years...

MEP's is probably the most laden gravy train (and always has been). Didn't Kinnock get sent over there years back to clean it up and failed miserably?

The whole system is crooked!

Sack the lot (apart from the virtuous few above) and let Branson and Cowell run the country
          'elf and safety guru

Comment

Working...
          X