• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sky

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sky

I want to upgrade from my normal sky box to sky+

I have sky Talk, sky Broadband and one of the most expensive TV packages.

I've just been on to them - they want to charge me £99 for the new box and £120 installation.

I've been a sky customer for over 10 years - I'm bloody furious!

Should I cancel my subscription and let my flatmate start with sky from scratch with a lower monthly payment, free installation and a sky+ box for £49?

Or should I try to blag it?
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Basically you phone them and tell them you want to cancel.

They will put you through to a dept that wants to know why.

You tell them about it being cheaper to start again under a new deal.

They will put you on the new deal.

Comment

Are you in a cable area? If so ring them and tell them you are cancelling to go cable instead. That usually gets them off their arses.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post

I've just been on to them - they want to charge me £99 for the new box and £120 installation.

Should I cancel my subscription and let my flatmate start with sky from scratch with a lower monthly payment, free installation and a sky+ box for £49?

Blag it!

Call them again and choose the options to go through to the cancellation dept.

When you get through, start off by saying

"Can you tell me how I go about cancelling as am thinking of doing it".

At which point they'll want to know why and should be able to upgrade you for free.

They have the power to do this - the monkey you spoke to doesn't.

Comment

One thing I’ve learnt dealing with TV cable/satellite firms, internet providers, telephone companies, electricity companies, gas suppliers etc is that once something works, DON’T try to change it. All those companies are so bloody inefficient and poorly run with all their fancy ‘business processes’ and ‘CRM systems’ that they are bound to screw it up and leave you with no TV, internet, phone, electricity or whatever else you thought you could get for a better price.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

1) Ask Virgin about thier best deal (as a new customer)
            2) Phone Sky again....... Ask to be put through to Contract cancellations.....

If they don't offer a deal you are happy with (ie better than the Virgin Deal)..... cancel and goto Virgin+

HTH

NB Assuming Virgin can offer what you want.....

Comment

Ok - am on the phone to them now!
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Tell them you’re going to cancel. You will be put through to a different department where they will try to change your mind.

Tell them that you work unsociable hours and never get to see prime time TV. They will suggest Sky+.

Tell them you don't wan to pay any more. They will offer it for £100 all in.

Say that's too much, stick to your guns and you'll get it for £60.

Been there, done that.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Basically you phone them and tell them you want to cancel.

They will put you through to a dept that wants to know why.

You tell them about it being cheaper to start again under a new deal.

They will put you on the new deal.
                  I tried that last year, they never fell for it.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    I tried that last year, they never fell for it.
                    I've done it twice and had a free upgrade to sky plus and a replacement sky HD box that that was out of warranty and failed.

You're clearly not doing it right (There are a million posts on how to do this in Avforums).
                    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Working...
                    X