• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone know anything about a scheme (loophole) to avoid stamp duty on a house?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know anything about a scheme (loophole) to avoid stamp duty on a house?

Had a call from a legal firm (linked to estate agents).

Basically, they form an unlimited UK company and you put your money into it. This company then buys the house and on the day of the exchange sells it to you for £1.

Legal fees about £15K to make this water tight.

Evidently only poor stupid people have been paying stamp duty, the rich don't pay it and the loophole has not been closed.

Anyone clued up on this?

I'm sure if you direct your question to the right honourable member for <insert constituency here> you'll get a satisfactory answer.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Is it really worth the risk?
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Might save me £20K.

£20K in my pocket vs Darling's sound very tempting.

He who dares rodders, he who dares.

Comment

I don't see how that can work, since you would be arguing that you are purchasing a house for £1 which is clearly not the case. HMRC would wonder why you are putting loads of dosh into a company that was set up to purchase the house you are living in (presuming you are buying the property as your main residence). HMRC would follow the money trail, and then come after you with a meat cleaver.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Wouldn't the company have to pay the Stamp Duty on their purchase or am I missing something bleeding obvious here?

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
              I don't see how that can work, since you would be arguing that you are purchasing a house for £1 which is clearly not the case. HMRC would wonder why you are putting loads of dosh into a company that was set up to purchase the house you are living in (presuming you are buying the property as your main residence). HMRC would follow the money trail, and then come after you with a meat cleaver.
              It does work. Thousands of wealthy people have and are doing and have been for at least 3 years.

Only the little people pay tax.

Comment

I thought this sort of thing was stopped along with buying a house for £50k and then paying £300k for the carpets and curtains?
                Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                  Wouldn't the company have to pay the Stamp Duty on their purchase or am I missing something bleeding obvious here?
                  Stamp duty does not apply to companies, only individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
                    I thought this sort of thing was stopped along with buying a house for £50k and then paying £300k for the carpets and curtains?
                    Nope, this loophole has been mentioned in the budget but never closed.

Comment

Working...
                    X