• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Projects while 'benched'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Projects while 'benched'

I have loads that I could do. I have all the software to do them with. I have lots of books and free time.

I can't be arsed though.

I start off well enough, but after I've got a feel for using something new I kind of lose interest rapidly. Still, at least I do learn something in the 5 minutes that I am interested

Funnily enough, when I'm being paid to do something my interest seems to remain.

You could always offer your services on Rentacoder for the technologies you want to learn. You get a real project to practice on and you might actually get paid ( a small amount ) for doing it. You can also stick it on the CV afterwards.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Try and setup a Samba PDC using LDAP and getting the windows and other samba machines to recognise it! A "project" I have been working off and on for a few weeks now. Got the PDC working now..just have to migrate the local accounts to the domain accounts now....wheee...

Get on to the Samba 4 team and help them get it out sooner damn it!
      http://devel.samba.org/samba/devel/TODO.html

Just a selfish suggestion.
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

I'm the same, when benched I can't be bothered to do virtually anything useful, now I am working I have cleared out the whole house, had it painted and carpeted, built new furniture etc. Before that I sat on the couch for months thinking, I should really get this sorted out...

Comment

Use your skills; improve your CV; feel better

How about finding a project with a defined end point: charity work.

There is IT 4 Communities http://www.it4communities.org.uk/

There is IT Can Help http://www.itcanhelp.org.uk/

Either of those look really good on a CV.

Have a look and see if there is anything that you want to do and go for it.
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
            I'm the same, when benched I can't be bothered to do virtually anything useful, now I am working I have cleared out the whole house, had it painted and carpeted, built new furniture etc. Before that I sat on the couch for months thinking, I should really get this sorted out...
            Yep, thats me too. working away from home, I'm like a whirlwind at the weekends sorting everyone out. Now I'm benched and at home all the time I simply cannot be arsed
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

I guess I'm the one breaking the mould (hopefully not getting mouldy). Over the last 7.5 months on the bench I've:
              • Designed, developed and deployed a content management system as a vehicle to learn ASP.NET etc
              • Built a website in my CMS
              • Learnt a fair bit of Silverlight and published some working samples of stuff I've developed with downloadable code. Been working on this some more today
              • Recently got more interested in design patterns
              • Been brushing up on UML to support the design patterns stuff
              • Developed a skeleton high level enterprise system design for a potential gig to try and gather a bit of momentum with an old client
              • Tiled the bathroom
              • Cut the grass
              • Done other mundane crap around the house
              I couldn't sit on my arse doing nothing thing, but do I mostly sit on my arse tapping away on the keyboard. What's doing my head in is the constant phoning after every gig I go after because after a while they all seem to descend into treacle.

When I think about it, it's the thought of becoming homeless that's keeping me motivated.
              Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                Yep, thats me too. working away from home, I'm like a whirlwind at the weekends sorting everyone out. Now I'm benched and at home all the time I simply cannot be arsed
                Imagine what happens when you retire? I often think its better to keep yourself busy by volunteering..keep the mind and body active and you'll live longer!
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                X