• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Articles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Articles

Genuine question: has anyone any recommendations for books and/or articles on introducing project management into an organisation? Genuine replies please!!

If so, please let me know the details either on here or via a PM.

TIA.

That reminds me, I emailed someone who asked the very same thing a month or so ago but never received a reply.

Oh well, I'm guessing the info (a large collection of ebooks) is no longer relevant to them for one reason or another.

Either that or they're so shocked by my blatant downloading of pirate ebooks I'm persona non grata.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Cannot recommend anything on introducing project management, but here's a recommendation: aim low and take it gently. What you are looking to do is gradually increase the capability of the organisation; do it too fast and it will break existing ad hoc processes and return no benefits.
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Some questions:

- what kind of organisation? Public sector or private?
        - UK or multinational? Is its head office in the USA?
        - are they a service business, manufacturing or something else?

Do they have any existing change management processes?
        Do they have any existing recognised change management processes?
        Do they have any existing service management processes?
        Do they have any existing recognised service management processes?

How much change is going on? A couple of big projects? Hundreds of little ones?

The change that is occurring: what drives it? External factors, the senior management, something else, a mix?

Why?

I am wondering whether they should go UK or US based project management (different standards) (e.g. PMBoK or PRINCE2).
        I am wondering whether they also need programme management (e.g. MSP).
        I am wondering whether it should be integrated with other process standards (e.g. Six Sigma).
        I am wondering whether it should be integrated with service process (e.g. ITIL).
        I am wondering if they know what a project actually is (defined change versus business as usual).
        I am wondering what sort of governance model is required, which determines what other processes are needed (e.g. OGC gateways, M_o_R, SoX).

Knowing the answers to these will help determine what it is that needs to be implemented, from which the answer to your question will become more clear.
        Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

I will send you a PM with the responses BrowneIssue.

Happy for others to send articles so I can read up on case studies etc.....

TIA

Comment

Working...
          X