• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dell order

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell order

Has just been put back another 2 weeks. FFS. They never used to be this slow. I figured buying from Dell was still worth it despite the risk of having to use their Customer Service, because of the quick turnaround and reliable systems they used to produce. But I have already had to be exposed to their Customer Helpline, as my CC transaction was rejected by the card company on the grounds that the order looked suspicious. First time ever. Apparently they tried to put £1 through before the main order and that raised a flag at the CC company. I had no luck communicating with the Indian on the other end to try again, but they automatically (and successfully in this case) retry transactions 3 freaking days later anyway. I dread having to explain to the helpline that I am moving house soon and at this rate will have to change the delivery address or cancel. Is it worth buying from Dell any more? Is the service just too poor and slow now?

When I ordered my laptop, they said it would be 3 weeks.

I got it 5 days later.

Very happy.
    Originally posted by cailin maith
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
      When I ordered my laptop, they said it would be 3 weeks.

I got it 5 days later.

Very happy.
      That's the way they used to work. I was initially quoted 2 weeks, but saw today that its completion has just been put back 2 weeks. A month is a bit long to wait for a bob standard system.

Comment

Service can be good if you have an account manager; avoid the call centres at all costs though, you'll just be passed between departments until someone understands what you're saying and then get told that isn't their department...

I ordered 2 new laptops last year which they kindly cancelled and didn't tell me about. Customer service was useless, they just reordered the stock and doubled the price for a worse spec. My account manager got notified a few hours later and things got resolved pretty quickly after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurficus View Post
          Service can be good if you have an account manager; avoid the call centres at all costs though, you'll just be passed between departments until someone understands what you're saying and then get told that isn't their department...

I ordered 2 new laptops last year which they kindly cancelled and didn't tell me about. Customer service was useless, they just reordered the stock and doubled the price for a worse spec. My account manager got notified a few hours later and things got resolved pretty quickly after that.
          I gather business customers get the better service, and come to think of it last time I bought from them it was through my Ltd Company. This time around is a private order which I don't think Dell are so arsed about, and you get the Indian call centres.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            I gather business customers get the better service, and come to think of it last time I bought from them it was through my Ltd Company. This time around is a private order which I don't think Dell are so arsed about, and you get the Indian call centres.
            You ordered some gadgets, and didn't put it though you Ltd
            Originally posted by cailin maith
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
              You ordered some gadgets, and didn't put it though you Ltd
              Closed my Ltd some years back.

Comment

I've always recieved the order earlier than they state...which is a problem in itself. I do believe DELL treats its business customers better in this regard.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Okay, the new Dell PC arrived - at last - 1 month after purchase. Looks nice. Set it up and wouldn’t you know it, it wouldn’t boot. “No boot disc”. Okay, back to the set-up guide. No details in there about how to contact Dell, except a USA phone number. Went on-line. Didn’t see a contact number within the first few minutes of looking, but saw a help chat thing, so gave that a whirl. Assistance came much quickness, and the Indian chap said a wire might have worked loose in transit. He directs me to a PDF showing a schematic of the PCs internals. Oh dear. I take the lid off and unscrew the hard drive and slip it out of its bay, and wouldn’t you know it, a blue wire is loose! It is the data cable. Now to figure out where it plugs in. After a bit of fiddling I find and insert it into the correct socket and the system boots into Vista! But I am sceptical about this cable. It seems a bit short. It looks as if it wasn’t designed t be long enough to go around the graphics card that I also bought. Turned the system off so that I could unplug the cable and slide the drive back into its (lowest) bay again and see if the cable will stretch. Using hands and fingers too big for this kind of microsurgery, I manage to just about get the cable to stretch from motherboard socket to drive bay socket without breaking anything. I could probably play a tune if I strummed on this cable, but all is fine! Say ta to help desk guy who has actually been pretty good. He tries to sell me something but gives that up fairly quickness.

My 9 year old Dell has been a real workhorse. It only survived this long because it was high spec in its day, including a high performance graphics card. It was getting progressively slower on the web though and was not really up to modern stuff like .Net, Vista, work, etc. Still 9 years without a hitch is pretty good going on the reliability front. Likewise the old CRT is looking ancient next to the new 22” HD LCD model. 1920*1080 display – loads of space on the desktop now! The new keyboard is carp though; I’m hitting two keys at once. Vista doesn’t seem too bad.

Maybe I can start practising some of the bullsheet technologies I’m putting on my CV instead of just learning the theory now.

Comment

I got a dell laptop last year and it has been a pain. The screen was shagged (white slodges all over) from out the box which I lived with as I was way too busy having to use it. Then the video card started to fail and the screen would drop every hour for 10 seconds and when it started again would give a driver error.

When I got some time out of working and called dell support I had to argue with the Indian guy for 50 minutes that a screen fault would not cause a driver error. He clearly had no idea how a computer works.

They sent round a technician who on first look at the screen exclaimed "what the feck is wrong with that" Chap was great and replaced screen and motherboard straight away. He told me that now the laptop market is so competitive they cut corners to get as much profit as they can. As you said my old dells are total workhorses, use 2 old desktops as servers and they never fail, seems that the new dells are built to lesser quality.

Comment

Working...
                    X