• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"A million percent"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"A million percent"

MP Shahid Malik seems to think that he was a million percent within the rules.

Clearly he is better than the apprentice hopefuls, as they usually give 110%

Originally posted by cailin maith
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

There was an interesting* piece on the BBC website the other week which covered "linguistic inflation".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8020340.stm

I think one of the comments hits the nail on the head saying that linguistic inflation can be dated back to 1984 when the volume on Spinal Tap's guitar amps went up to 11.

Having some understanding of numbers I am quite happy with percentages larger than 100 and don't really understand what they are all complaining about, but what I don't like to hear is useless managers spouting meanlingless platitudes.

* interesting if you don't have a lot else to be getting on with. If you are busy then I wouldn't bother if I were you.

Comment

I'm very surprised that the unctuous Keith Vaz doesn't seem to feature on the list of MPs that have been fingered.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
        I'm very surprised that the unctuous Keith Vaz doesn't seem to feature on the list of MPs that have been fingered.
        He did - silk cushions etc.
        http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...from-home.html

Comment

Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
          Having some understanding of numbers I am quite happy with percentages larger than 100 and don't really understand what they are all complaining about, but what I don't like to hear is useless managers spouting meanlingless platitudes.
          No problem when discussing figures, but having the same understanding I know you can not have more than 100% of some things.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
            No problem when discussing figures, but having the same understanding I know you can not have more than 100% of some things.
            The price of a cup of coffee from the canteen can be 500% of the price of a cup of coffee from the machine.

The walk to the canteen can be 1000% of the distance to get to the coffee machine.

Once I have my cup of coffee, there is no way that I can drink more than 100% of it.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
              Once I have my cup of coffee, there is no way that I can drink more than 100% of it.
              Exactly and that is where these annoying twats bastardising the languge get it wrong. They should be horse whipped.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Exactly, you can't be more that 100% within the rules
                Originally posted by cailin maith
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

A million percent within means that if the rules were ten thousand times more stringent, then he'd still be within them. i.e. that he's not be pushing the boundaries at all.

But I doubt his thought processes extended that far.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

125% mortgages?

Comment

Working...
                    X