• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sympathy fatigue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sympathy fatigue

Missing Chef

Is anyone else getting a little tired with this? They are trying to use Madeleine style tactics to keep the missing chef woman (white/fairer than average) in the public's memory.

Whereas Madeleine was a small child who had no control over her fate, etc, I can't help but feel absolutely nothing for a 35 year old woman with potentially dubious lovelife. It's not that I don't have empathy for her parents - but I just flick past this now. She may have wanted to disappear, as many adults do.

I guess it irritates me that I'm suffering from sympathy-fatigue and I might not have any compassion left when the next story is stuffed in our faces, even if that is another innocent child.
    Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
    Missing Chef

Is anyone else getting a little tired with this? They are trying to use Madeleine style tactics to keep the missing chef woman (white/fairer than average) in the public's memory.

Whereas Madeleine was a small child who had no control over her fate, etc, I can't help but feel absolutely nothing for a 35 year old woman with potentially dubious lovelife. It's not that I don't have empathy for her parents - but I just flick past this now. She may have wanted to disappear, as many adults do.

I guess it irritates me that I'm suffering from sympathy-fatigue and I might not have any compassion left when the next story is stuffed in our faces, even if that is another innocent child.
    Unless its a Silence Of The Lambs "it rubs the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again" kind of thing?

Comment

I developed Sympathy Fatigue years ago. There have been far too many over publicised events that have attracted "celebrity" backing to the bandwagons and I just ignore all of the stories in the press.

I feel the same about the annual telethon events too.

Bah humbug, but bollards to it!!!!

Comment

I'm not tired of it at all. I gave up caring years ago. I feel so much better for it.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
        X