• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A reply from Cameron

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A reply from Cameron

As some know, I angrily wrote an email to Cameron last week regarding MP claims for gardening. This is the reply I received today from his office, which some of you cynical folks thought I would never receive.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear xxxxxxxxx

I am writing on behalf of David Cameron to thank you for your recent e-mail about Members’ Allowances.

We appreciate your taking the time and trouble to write to us about this important matter and completely understand your concerns. The last few days have been deeply damaging for politicians of all Parties and the public have every right to be angry about this issue. Voters must have confidence in those they elect to represent them. Sadly, over the past few days, this trust has been deeply eroded.

As you say, the public are really angry about the way in which the allowances available to Members of Parliament have been used over the years, particularly how some MPs have taken public money to pay for things few could afford. David Cameron has apologised for the action of some Conservative MPs and has been clear that all Conservative MPs must justify and explain why they claimed what they did to the public. It is also important that they admit to any mistakes and, if they have made claims which cause concern, apologise.

We now have an urgent responsibility to restore the trust of the public, which has been so badly undermined. There is no doubt that the House of Commons expenses system is badly flawed and, rather than wait for further reviews or recommendations, urgent action is needed. We have, therefore, announced a series of immediate measures on expenses to ensure that Conservative MPs live by the values of responsibility and thrift.

Members of the Shadow Cabinet have already started to pay back expense claims that have caused concern. We have also set up a new Scrutiny Panel which will examine every excessive claim by any Conservative Member and decide if the money should be paid back. David Cameron has made clear that Conservative MPs who have made excessive expense claims will have to go in front of that Scrutiny Panel and pay back the money agreed or they will no longer be Conservative MPs.

David Cameron also announced a number of actions that will apply to Conservative MPs and will be implemented before the launch of Sir Christopher Kelly’s report on expenses. I have attached a summary of the measures announced this week, and also information on the reforms we have previously called for to bring down the cost of politics. I hope you find this reassuring of how seriously we take these matters.

Of course, these actions alone will not fix our broken politics. It will take time and effort to repair a system that has been allowed to deteriorate over many years. As David has made clear, if we win the next election, we will be asking the whole country to come together to show social responsibility, personal responsibility and thrift – so the least we can do is ask Parliament to live by those values as well.

Thank you, once again, for your taking the time and trouble to get in touch.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

It looks like a cyber-reply that's been "top and tailed" by someone.

Comment

You wrote an angry letter to Dave.....

....and a flunky sent you back a copy of Daves Press Release....

'kin tulip head! (and I mean Dave not you)

Comment

At least he got a reply.
        My mail to Golden Clown and my local MP are yet to be shown the same courtesy.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I got one of those.

I wouldn't mind, but all I did was ask him what make his bike is.

Comment

Poor Cybercretin!
            The highlight of his day was receiving an email from his hero Cameron "I've got no Policies or Vision".
            I bet his curtains are really crusty now.

What he doesn't know is the reply is from a snot-nosed 20 year old intern assigned to respond to the loonies who send pointless emails.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

I wonder if Cybertory wrote to Gordo - or was he only angry about Tory gardens?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Poor Cybercretin!
                The highlight of his day was receiving an email from his hero Cameron "I've got no Policies or Vision".
                I bet his curtains are really crusty now.

What he doesn't know is the reply is from a snot-nosed 20 year old intern assigned to respond to the loonies who send pointless emails.
                What he doesn't know is that Dave is claiming £69000 p/a for the snot-nosed 20 year old, I mean Research Assistant, who he actually pays minimum wage ..........

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  I wonder if Cybertory wrote to Gordo - or was he only angry about Tory gardens?

I expect the Tories to adhere to high standards because they are the party I would want to be able to support and thus I will hold them to account if they fail me.
                  After 12 years of the 'whiter than white' New Lie and their actions in opposition over many years and government in the 70s, I have very low expectations of them and I have never voted for them and never would, so I have no right to hold them to account.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                    I expect the Tories to adhere to high standards because they are the party I would want to be able to support and thus I will hold them to account if they fail me.
                    After 12 years of the 'whiter than white' New Lie and their actions in opposition over many years and government in the 70s, I have very low expectations of them and I have never voted for them and never would, so I have no right to hold them to account.
                    Don't be an Arse... New Lie-bore are "your" Government (if you voted for them or not) and you have every 'kin right to hold them to account!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X