• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hazel Blears pays tax that she "doesn't owe"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hazel Blears pays tax that she "doesn't owe"

How does that work? How do HMRC account for it? They can't put it against a tax bill when there wasn't one. Presumably they do keep books, how do they balance them when they get a payment that "shouldn't exist"?

Originally posted by expat View Post
    How does that work? How do HMRC account for it? They can't put it against a tax bill when there wasn't one. Presumably they do keep books, how do they balance them when they get a payment that "shouldn't exist"?
    It's filed under "payments from MPs who are desperate to keep their jobs but know they are in it up to their necks".

This is one little madam that I am going to delight in watching fall...
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

She really is an odious little twerp. I hope she gets sent to jail for tax evasion.

If she'd thought about it a bit more she would have given the expenses back rather than face the investigators of HMRC.

What's that helpline where you shop benefit cheats? Do the HMRC have a similar line?
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Erm...I pay taxes I dont owe as well - it's called "On Account", HMRC's legal theft service
        The pope is a tard.

Comment

Lots of people in the Netherlands deliberately pay too much tax because the tax office pays it back a year later with 5% interest; best savings bank you can find in Europe.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Switzerland too. Not 5% but a lot better than any bank. It only applies to the first 25% of overpayment though.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              They can't put it against a tax bill when there wasn't one.
              Simple.

HMRC just put it down as a credit against her future SA tax bills.

She's pulling the wool over our eyes, the deceitful bitch.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

This was on R5 yesterday morning, they talked about having to draw up a new procedure for this...

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  She really is an odious little twerp. I hope she gets sent to jail for tax evasion.

If she'd thought about it a bit more she would have given the expenses back rather than face the investigators of HMRC.

What's that helpline where you shop benefit cheats? Do the HMRC have a similar line?
                  Why would she get done for tax evasion? The sad thing in the whole debacle is that whilst morally reprehensible, with few exceptions, MPs have done nothing wrong (in terms of breaching the rules) or illegal.

A friend of mine was bitching about it the other day, and then in the next breath was detailing how he put his new plasma screen TV through the company, and claimed for some made-up training that he hadn't been on.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                    This was on R5 yesterday morning, they talked about having to draw up a new procedure for this...
                    No they don't.

They just put any payments in credit against your SA account

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X