• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

John Major

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Major

Well, I am concerned,

I was listening to John Major this mronign on TV and he is the first politician I have heard for a while who actually said something I think was worth listening too.

The whole gist of of was that if a political force comes onto the scene that is prepared to deal with the issues facing the UK without woryying about tommorrows headlines, they will get a lot of support.

I for one would vote for soemone who I see as a straight talker, someone who I trust to do the right thing, not the most popular.

Unfortunately the I dont see any potential leader being this person.

I suppose I am being very naive to think that that will ever happen.
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Many many people feel like that, problem is such a politician when produced in reality rarely does well in the actual elections as people prefure to persue the small chance that the other guy is not lieing when he says he will not raise tax's while upping what we get in return for our tax's rather than vote for the guy who says he will raise them so we get more.

Like take the lib dems, for years they have been putting forward more realistic plans than the other 2 partys but still they remain the 3rd party

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan
      The whole gist of of was that if a political force comes onto the scene that is prepared to deal with the issues facing the UK without woryying about tommorrows headlines
      That's what they did in USSR and still do in Russia -- to be sure they put media under control so that no headlines would appear.

I like Mr Major, but in democracy you have to have serious check on Govt and the media plays important role in it.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan
        I for one would vote for soemone who I see as a straight talker, someone who I trust to do the right thing, not the most popular.
        I too would like to vote for someone who I see as a straight talker and who I trust to do the right thing, but if they aren't the most popular, they aren't going to get elected.

Also, it depends what you mean by the right thing. The right thing for me might be to reduce public spending, pull up the mass immigration drawbridge, return the European Union to a simple free-trade bloc, and decimate red tape. The right thing for you might be something different.

I don't know about John Major, but I believe the biggest problem facing the country now is that the New Labour party is running it. I'd vote for anyone right-of-centre who could kick them out and start clearing up the mess they have made.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise
          Many many people feel like that, problem is such a politician when produced in reality rarely does well in the actual elections as people prefure to persue the small chance that the other guy is not lieing when he says he will not raise tax's while upping what we get in return for our tax's rather than vote for the guy who says he will raise them so we get more.

Like take the lib dems, for years they have been putting forward more realistic plans than the other 2 partys but still they remain the 3rd party
          Lib dems haven't done themselves many favours, e.g. 50% income tax

http://www.guardian.co.uk/budget2005...427236,00.html
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
          X