• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Revenue to have access to National ID database

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revenue to have access to National ID database

Personal data gathered for the controversial ID cards scheme will be made available to the taxman.

HM Revenue and Customs officials will be able to trawl through a person's financial transactions for hints of any undeclared earnings or bank accounts.

There was already widespread concern that the Home Office, police and security officials would have access to the scheme's database.

But campaigners said handing information to tax inspectors was a sinister development.

The powers that give 'Commissioners for Revenue and Customs' access to the ID cards audit log were buried away in orders laid before Parliament earlier this week - at the same time as the full extent of the expenses scandal was emerging.

The log records each time a card has been used to verify a person's identity when they make a big value purchase, open a bank account or take out a mortgage.

If a large number of verifications for big items are recorded, it could signal to the taxman a person earns more money than they declared. Undeclared second homes could also lead to higher tax payments.

The audit trail will also include checks made by employers that a person applying for a job is here legally. This could also make the taxman aware of any undeclared second occupations.

Phil Booth, of the NO2ID campaign, said: 'It would be hypocrisy of the highest order for politicians so reluctant to come clean on their own personal finances to pass legislation that would let the taxman snoop through all of ours.

'The big lie of the ID scheme is that it's for our benefit - the detail shows it's all about giving the bureaucrats and bean-counters more control.'

The Home Office says the ID card scheme will make life easier for both businesses and their customers. Companies will be charged around 60p a time to check details held on the giant 'big brother' database.

Every time a check is made against the ID card, it will be logged on the National Identity Register - and the details made available to the taxman.

Officials hope for up to 770million 'verifications' each year.

The data includes addresses, any second homes and National Insurance numbers.

Firms will be told that using the scheme will cut millions from their annual fraud bills and save them hefty fines for employing illegal immigrants.

Officials believe it will be cheaper for companies to confirm identity through the database than by using current methods such as bills and driving licences. The Home Office said businesses would need a person's consent to check information about them.

Official documents reveal that some 44,000 organisations could be 'accredited' to carry out verification checks.

They range from Whitehall departments, banks and financial institutions to mobile phone and video rental shops.

It comes after Jacqui Smith's announcement earlier this month that members of the public will be expected to have their fingerprints taken at the Post Office or in high street shops and pharmacies when they sign up for a card or passport.

At present, the right to take fingerprints is largely restricted to the police.
    If you have nothing to hide, there is nothing to fear

Originally posted by Benny View Post
    If you have nothing to hide, there is nothing to fear
    Even from the people who are going to have power after we throw away this democracy out of fury at being robbed by our MPs?

Comment

Considering the HMRC already know how much people earn, via the perfectly legitimate system of tax collection, I can't see what difference the purchases on an ID card would make in this instance.

Unless of course someone is declaring that they earn X, but are spending 2X, 3X or more. Which needs investigating for potential fraud regardless.
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

You may have heard of the expression "the thin end of the wedge", well this is it:

you need it to get any medical help
        your car wont start without it
        you will need it to get on or off any public transport
        you will need to to walk down every street in the country (RFID becons checking everyone has one with them)
        you need need it to buy a a packet of crisps/anything else
        it will replace cash and all your other bank cards.
        it will eventually be implanted into you to make things simpler

Comment

The Tories have pledged to cancel this ID card scheme immediately.

Another reason (if any more were needed) to vote for them.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

There's nothing in the street
            Looks any different to me
            And the slogans are out-phased, by-the-bye
            And the parting on the left
            Is now parting on the right
            And their beards have all grown longer overnight

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
            Take a bow for the new revolution
            Smile and grin at the change all around
            Pick up my guitar and play
            Just like yesterday
            Then I'll get on my knees and pray
            We don't get fooled again
            Don't get fooled again
            No, no!

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Meet the new boss
            Same as the old boss
            Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
              [I]There's nothing in the street
              Looks any different to me
              And the slogans are out-phased, by-the-bye
              And the parting on the left
              Is now parting on the right

:::
              That may be so, but as the Good Book says "Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof"...
              Last edited by OwlHoot; 16 May 2009, 17:43.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Where does it say that?
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Where does it say that?
                  All over google. They pledged to do it in 2007 iirc.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

And the single issue on which I'll be voting Tory next time, so let's hope they don't get waylayed by the useless turds at the Home Office once they get in. This whole steaming pile of crap (ID cards) is the work of pathetic shiny-trousered civil servants with no guts and no imagination. They had to enlist the snake oil salesmen to persuade the politicians - let's hope they don't manage it again - after all both main parties have switched their stance on this.

Comment

Working...
                    X