• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Questions for the moderators / owners of CUK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions for the moderators / owners of CUK

Edit: I was having a grot about newbie questions when I started this thread.

It's probably best ignored as it's just me missing the point of what an internet forum is for.

------------- original below -------------
    I've only been here five minutes and I'm already fed up of seeing the same newbie questions: "I've lost my job so I'm going contracting, tell me how, step by painful step."

Have you ever considered collating common Q&As and bunging them in a .PDF?

I would expect if one of us did so from information posted on here, it would a breach of your copyright.

Can you, or anyone else, think of a viable business model that would:

- mean common Q&As be put together for the benefit of newbies;
    - would compensate the collator for their effort;
    - think of some other means of achieving the same thing, e.g. a CUK Wiki?
    Last edited by BrowneIssue; 16 May 2009, 17:00.
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

There are the oft-pointed-to "First Timers" guides, over there under "CUK Navigation" --->

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      There are the oft-pointed-to "First Timers" guides, over there under "CUK Navigation" --->
      But they don't seem to get spotted.

Maybe that is the real problem.

Perhaps when one sets up a new account, the 'welcome' message (that says we must play nicely and not have sockpuppets and stuff) should start with newbie advice?
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        WHS

If you create a nice PDF for people to download, it would just be one more link for these muppets not to click on. The information is already there, but these people really can't be bothered to even look over to the menu on the right, they want to be spoon fed.

I think I can safely say that everyone on here was a newbie at one point, not all of us started out on CUK by posting questions asking for information that is freely available without having to look too hard at all.

Fair enough if you read the info and don't understand something, then ask, but to come on here and say "I want to be a contractor, how do I do it?" without even looking is just asking to be told to **** off, seriously.

If you are starting a business and don't have the nouse to be able to find information on how to do it on the internet then you won't last very long in my opinion.
        Still Invoicing

Comment

It's a price you have to pay for being a member on a public forum.

I also visit a Health and Safety forum and the most popular question there is "Is this accident reportable?" and I'm sure each forum has it's own "repeat until dead" type affair....

If you don't want to read/converse... move on!

If the mods have a problem, they can easily nuke the thread!
          'elf and safety guru

Comment

It winds me when people get annoyed about new people posting questions that they "don't have time to respond to" yet they happily post drivel all day in TPD.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              It winds me when people get annoyed about new people posting questions that they "don't have time to respond to" yet they happily post drivel all day in TPD.
              You are quite right. I have allowed myself to be tainted by the standard grumpy attitude that pervades General.

I shall be more tolerant and instead of wanting to scream "FFS!" just ignore such questions and let someone else answer them.

I've been through a phase of being nice and I suppose what happens is you get tired of it. At which point the best thing to do is move on.

I'll scuttle off back to TPD to recharge my organs.

Comment

There aren't that many daft newbie questions that it bothers me. To be fair, nothing is that clear cut when it comes to starting out, there are many grey areas, IR35 being one.
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                  Edit: I was having a grot about newbie questions when I started this thread.

It's probably best ignored as it's just me missing the point of what an internet forum is for.
                  I wouldn't worry about it, I think it's a fair point you brought up.

A small part of my job is handling tech support issues and 90% of the enquiries are completely uneccessary purely because the user didn't bother to read the manual. I'm talking basics here, the serial number is printed on the front cover of the manual but I still get emails - 'I can't find my serial'

Has the internet made people lazy? Don't bother finding out the simplest things for yourself, just ask somebody else...
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    I dont have time to respond to posts like this. I am off to tpd.

Comment

Working...
                    X