• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Swindon full of "super rats"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swindon full of "super rats"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...to-poison.html

New 'super rats' evolve resistance to poison
    Rats across Britain are evolving a resistance to poison that makes them almost impossible to kill, scientists have warned.

Genetic mutations have produced a new breed of "super rat" with DNA that protects the vermin from standard toxins, according to Professor Robert Smith at the University of Huddersfield.

Ratcatchers in Berkshire and Hampshire were the first to report that their poisons were no longer effective, which experts put down to increased immunity among the pests.

But as the poison-resistant rats continue to spread, tests have revealed that they boast an entirely new strand of DNA that wards off attacks from pesticides.

Swindon in Wiltshire is the latest town to suffer an infestation, with exterminators reporting a 500 per cent increase in the rodents. Many are turning to traps, air rifles and even dogs in an effort to keep the populations under control.

Prof Smith of the university's applied sciences department warned that "super rats" may be thriving in communities across Britain. The Government no longer provides funding to track resistance, meaning the scale of the problem is unclear.

"Natural selection means that when you have a rat population in your town, poison will kill the ones that aren't resistant, the ones that survive may have the gene, they then have babies who can receive the gene themselves," he said.

"There are mutations and changes in their DNA that alter the ability of rats to deal with these poisons. It appears to be moving west and has now been located in Swindon and Bristol. It is a warning of things to come."

There are now thought to be around 80 million rats in Britain, a rise of more than 200 per cent since 2007.

The National Pest Technician Association has said that the scrapping of weekly bin collections in many councils has contributed to the explosion, with householders now keeping their rubbish bags outside for longer.

The British Pest Control Association (BPCA) is calling go the Government to approve more powerful pesticides for use outdoors, warning of a threat to public health if rat numbers swell over the summer.

I've yet to hear of a rat with a genetic resistance to Jack Russell terriers.

If I were a rat catcher I'd have a brace of terriers. Can't beat 'em.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      I've yet to hear of a rat with a genetic resistance to Jack Russell terriers.

If I were a rat catcher I'd have a brace of terriers.
      <pansy liberal fluffy bunny city dweller>
      You can't do that! It would be cruel and inhumane to the rats!
      </pansy>

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        <pansy liberal fluffy bunny city dweller>
        You can't do that! It would be cruel and inhumane to the rats!
        </pansy>
        WHS := WHS + 1;

And such unnatural exploitation of Jack Russell terriers, encouraging them to behave in violent ways toward little God's creatures!

Jack Russells should be fed on proper food, not rats.
        Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post

I think that is a form of cruelty.

Comment

This is more suitable stuff to feed the dogs with.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
              That really would be cruel. To the dogs.
              Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Working...
              X