• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inflation is coming?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inflation is coming?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/c...-bogeyman.html

So whatever happened to the deflation bogeyman?
    Three months ago, the Bank of England published a Quarterly Inflation Report that, amidst the usual macroeconomic forecasts, contained a detailed analysis of the threat posed by deflation.

The dreaded "d-word" received top-billing – evoking the traumas of the Great Depression, rising real debt burdens, warped economic incentives and Japan's "lost decade".

In its latest Inflation Report, published last week, the Bank made less of the deflationary dangers we face. A lot less. The word "deflation", in fact, didn't make a single appearance.

So let me get this straight. One minute the UK faces an issue so dangerous, so imminent, that we take extremely drastic measures to tackle it: "quantitative easing" and our debt-fuelled fiscal-boost were both introduced "to fend off the threat of deflation".

Over the last few months, we've printed money on an unprecedented scale and run up enormous extra liabilities. When sensible people have protested, pointing out the clear dangers, we've been told such "bold" measures were necessary for the UK to avoid getting sucked into a deflationary spiral.

But now, just three months later, this looming threat has apparently passed. It warrants not a mention in the Bank's Inflation Report. Has deflation really gone away? Or did we never actually face such dangers? Was the spectre of deflation conjured up, instead, for other reasons – as an excuse for this ghastly Government to yank monetary policy back off the Bank and nail interest rates to the floor, while junking fiscal caution and borrowing in a fashion more akin to a banana republic?

The Bank of England has stopped warning of deflation because it is no longer credible to do so. In truth, it never was. CPI inflation remains at 2.9pc – way above the Bank's target, as it has been for 31 of the last 33 months. As sterling has fallen, import prices have surged. In an open economy like the UK, that's highly inflationary.

A few City economists are still banging the deflationary drum, so desperate are their battered institutions to keep wringing "bail-out" cash from the Government, or use QE to recapitalise themselves by the back door.

But most of the financial markets, and the population as a whole, know deflation is nonsense. Price pressures remain high. More than that, concern is growing that our policy response to "sub-prime" –cranking-up the Bank's printing presses and drowning ourselves in more debt, and all against a backdrop of negative real interest rates – is itself storing up high inflation.

At a recent Euromoney conference, a large, financially-savvy audience was asked to choose which phrase – "deflation", "inflation soon" or "big inflationary problems in the future" – best describes their expectations. The result was decisive, with more than four-fifths concerned there could be serious inflation to come.

That's why the Bank has done a handbrake turn. Three months ago, the Inflation Report forecast that economic slowdown meant CPI inflation would fall to 0.6pc by the end of 2010 – still not in negative deflationary territory, but close. Last week, the Bank raised that forecast sharply, predicting a CPI close to 1.5pc at the end of next year.

At the same time, the Bank now sees the downturn getting deeper. The economy will shrink 3.8pc this year, it says, before growing 1.1pc in 2010. Just three months ago, a 2.3pc growth rate was pencilled in for next year.

So the Bank has raised it inflation forecast, but slashed its future growth rate. Less growth would normally mean less inflation, not more. But in this case, our efforts to avoid the inevitable fallout from "sub-prime" – the money-printing and all the extra borrowing – have stoked up future price pressures. In the coming months, these policy excesses will weigh on sterling, raising import prices further. Next year's VAT cut reversal will add to inflation too.

Oil prices are now up sharply – some 40pc above their mid-February low. And crude could go much higher still, again feeding inflation.

But the Bank pointed to another source of inflation that, while significant, has barely been discussed. By cutting working capital to companies, the credit crunch has restricted their ability to supply goods and services. Many firms are now folding, leaving competitors with more pricing power.

The current lack of credit isn't only destroying demand, but also the economy's ability to supply. As last's week's Inflation Report was launched, Charlie Bean, the Bank's Deputy governor, warned the crunch was curtailing investment and eroding skills. That lowers the output level the economy can sustain without triggering inflation.

Its lately been argued that because the slowdown results in "spare capacity", the Government can print money and borrow like crazy without provoking inflation. But as Bean said: "The rise in spare capacity isn't as large as you would think simply from the projections of growth".

Inflation is coming – don't doubt it. The penny has now dropped.

Slipping up on PFI

Readers may recall my previous tirades against the private finance initiative (PFI). Expensive and inefficient, PFI means taxpayers often shell out ridiculous amounts for sub-standard schools, hospitals and other public infrastructure.

Having been paid over the odds for the building, the private sector then adds insult to injury by providing sloppy, overpriced services, under 25-year contracts allowing them to do as little as possible while extracting maximum public cash.

Why have Labour, and the Tories before them, signed PFI contracts worth hundreds of billions when the private sector could have been engaged on more flexible terms, providing far better taxpayer value?

Because a succession of clever-clever civil servants, supposedly negotiating on our behalf, have cut deals stacked in the private sector’s favour. It is a complete coincidence some then went to work for the PFI industry.

The main attraction, though, is that PFI allows ministers to park billions of pounds of debt off-balance-sheet – a public-sector Enron.

Several years ago, HM Treasury agreed to heed IFRS accounting rules by bringing all PFI liabilities onto its books. Last week, a low-key announcement broke that promise. PFI debts will remain off-balance-sheet but projects may have two sets of accounts – one meeting IFRS standards, the other for internal consumption. Another small step into banana republic territory.

Not sure Brillo. I wouldn't be suprised. I read that the effects of Quantitive easing are not felt in the high street until 6 months later, as this "new" currency has to filter into OTC trade from the reserves. I point out I am not am economist, which should already be apparent from my previously naive ramblings on this forum.

However, I regularly scour the web for scraps of doom like most of us on here, and I have read the following.

China is trading in Yuans in bilateral trade with countries such as Argentina. With intelligent use of swaps they are reducing their dependancy on the dollar bit by bit. A few million dollars here and there.

They are going to get the Renmimbi added to the basket of currencies, and are allowing the Yuan to inflate a little against the dollar, which has been falling against the Yuan.

Meanwhile the Czech Republic has ratified the Reform Treaty, and later this year the embattled ROI will follow suit. So the position of the president of Europe will be made, and a new Federal Europe looks to be the NWO in our part of the world.

The Yuan as I understand it is not affected by QE, but the Yen, dollar, Sterling all are. As Glen Beck pointed out with his Fed Hockey Stick chart, the dollars mass QE exercise at the end of 08 is trouble waiting to happen. Now if it takes 6 months for the full effects of QE to be felt, then America is about to go belly up. Swiftly followed down the plug hole by the UK, just in time for President Blair to come to our rescue with a basket full of SDRs, in exchange for the last of our civil liberties.

It's not any micro econmic step that interests me Brillo, it's the whole picture, and I think it's just coming into focus.

Interesting times.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Interesting times.
      O/T - sorry.

I used that phrase a.k.a the Chinese curse sometime ago and was sent the link to the Wiki page about it. It's all made up!

This bit I liked:

It is reported that it was the first of three curses of increasing severity, the other two being:
      • May you come to the attention of those in authority
      • May you find what you are looking for
      However, I think the second one scares me most.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Deflation, inflation, flagelation - it's all froth.

The only things we can be certain about is that UK plc and the UK public are spending far more than they are earning, and that has to be reversed.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          Deflation, inflation, flagelation - it's all froth.

The only things we can be certain about is that UK plc and the UK public are spending far more than they are earning, and that has to be reversed.
          Sounds like micro economics to me. Run along and vote in the European elections believing your vote counts.

For the more illuminated among us

http://www.farmann.no/second-crash-imminent/

I am now calling the second crash ripe. I personally am not shorting quite yet, but I am monitoring this hour by hour right now. The trigger will come.
          The markets have rallied way too much, rest assure that the panic we saw September 2008 will be repeated in this next down leg.

The fundamentals are gruesome:
          P/E ratios on the S&P 500 is at 59, it will be 10 or 20 before this is over.
          And, profitability is plummeting.
          We are standing on the edge of the financial Gran Canyon.
          Massive losses in the financial sector are yet to arrive.
          Unemployment in the USA is still rising sharply.
          Credit contraction is still going on, strongly so.

The real economy is bound for a sharp contraction, we are talking depression levels, and the stock markets will follow.

The rally we have seen this spring has been a dead cat bounce. Some of the main reasons have been:
          - A delayed Obama effect.
          - Short covering.
          - Shorting regulations.
          - Reduced interest rates towards zero, that can’t go further down.
          - A flight “away from” cash, into pretty much anything that is not cash.
          - A self reinforcing sense of relief as the rally gained momentum.

These are one off dead cat bounce effects, it is not anything sustainable.
          So this bear rally will come to an end soon, the effects of QE will kick in, and President Blair will come to the rescue.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            Sounds like micro economics to me. Run along and vote in the European elections believing your vote counts.

For the more illuminated among us

http://www.farmann.no/second-crash-imminent/

So this bear rally will come to an end soon, the effects of QE will kick in, and President Blair will come to the rescue.
            Some illumination.

Everyone is guessing. I repeat, the only things we can be certain about is that UK plc and the UK public are spending far more than they are earning, and that has to be reversed.

BTW, that is macro economics, not micro economics.

Comment

Some illumination.

Everyone is guessing. I repeat, the only things we can be certain about is that UK plc and the UK public are spending far more than they are earning, and that has to be reversed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microeconomics

HTH

Comment

'Micro' is Atw understanding of the subject.

David Tice from Federated was on Bloomberg this week saying that the S&P 500 was going to 400 within 6 months. Ouch.

I think he may have a very good point.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Some illumination.

Just a shame that Brown did not have the guts to cut spending years ago.

Comment

From that site:

Farmann Magazine is a contrarian online magazine
                    Maybe we should believe the opposite of what that article claims.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X