• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it just me, or is everything sh*t these days?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was a schoolboy, I used to borrow books from libraries. I read hundreds. In my last year of primary school I used to use my parents library cards and go through four or five novels a week. (My own cards only gave me access to the childrens library.)

I read less in high school, and even less afterwards, partly due to lack of time due to studying/work, partly because I was less interested in fiction.

Now I have lots of time on my hands, and I want read all the classics I've not read yet. My local library is a newish five store multi-million pound building. A third of the second floor is devoted to non-fiction and a third of the fourth is devoted to fiction. (The rest of the building space is for cafes, "learning studios", creche etc.) Within the section devoted to books, there are some groovy (i.e. curvy) low book cases that seem to be explicitly designed to minimise the ratio of shelf space to floor space, i.e. minimise the number of books that can be displayed in the tiny part of the building devoted to this purpose. In a recent trip to reinvestigate whether the library was worth using, I found the same thing as last time: it doesn't actually have any books I want to read. In fact I looked for books I knew I liked as well as ones I wanted to read in future. There was no Dostoevsky, no Melville, no Orwell, no Austen, no Bronte, no Jack London, I forget what else I looked for. There were a couple of minor Tolstoys, but no "Anna Karenina" and no "War and Peace." Overall, the library is of less use to me now than my state primary school and private secondary school libraries were to me in the 1970's, and they in turn had far few books than the public libraries. And those libraries were in small towns, not London.

Are libraries just a waste of space these days? I've bought the next six books I intend to read online, will the library accept them as donations when I've finished with them, or is it public library policy not to actually stock any worthwhile books these days?

Isn't there a book with this title?

Sure someone bought it as a present for me in a secret santa : but Mrs BP had already bought me a copy.

Comment

I only use my local library for the internet (in bound to my server – it’s hard to check things on this side of the router) and to print things off using their colour laser printer. The last time I tried they wouldn’t let me in because the power had gone off and the time before that the whole of their network was down. Talking to fellow rejects at the time I discovered that something is wrong, or they are on strike/protest/staff shortages, nearly every other day.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Isn't there a book with this title?

Sure someone bought it as a present for me in a secret santa : but Mrs BP had already bought me a copy.
        Yes - I've got it (twice) and part two - evidently people think (correctly) I'm a Grumpy old man.

Didn't WH Smith publish all the classics for a quid each a whi;e back? I seem to recall libraries saying it wasn't worth them keeping them then esp as I seem to recall they couldn't buy 'em for a pound.

Comment

Do libraries not order books in for you these days?
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Do libraries not order books in for you these days?
            Ours does They ordered a load of IT books for me last time I was benched. They are also quite good for DVD's as long as you don't want any film released in the last 18 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
              Yes - I've got it (twice) and part two - evidently people think (correctly) I'm a Grumpy old man.

Didn't WH Smith publish all the classics for a quid each a whi;e back? I seem to recall libraries saying it wasn't worth them keeping them then esp as I seem to recall they couldn't buy 'em for a pound.
              Penguin, Wordsworth and a few other publishers do loads of classics in cheap editions. There's usually an extensive choice in shops like Waterstones and Borders.

Comment

I asked my wife, the professional Librarian, for a comment but she got so angry I let it go.

The Librarians hate it far more than you do. It's to do with:

- libraries do not make money but all council departments are expected to make a profit;
                - 80% of the stock is on shelves but the KPI says it should be 100% on loan;
                - yoo dont need lybreez when theirs Google, innit.

So you'll have to make do with a comment from me:

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
                Everything's sh*t.
                Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Since the title of this thread asked a specific question but then went on to discuss public libraries only, I'll chuck in my opinion since I know little about public libraries: everything I come into contact with in the UK service industry is indeed complete sh*t.
                  Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Waterstones, Borders, Blackwells.
                    Amazon
                    The Internet.
                    OK, so libraries and smaller bookshops have been hit hard, but there's plenty of reading to be had out there.

For this reason I have to vote NO to your debate.
                    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                    X