• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tyre sabotage brings race to halt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tyre sabotage brings race to halt

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...al/8054215.stm

Police are investigating after carpet tacks were spread across roads bringing a major cycle race to a halt.

More than 3,500 people were taking part in the Etape Caledonia, over 81 miles around Pitlochry in Perthshire.

It is the only cycle event in Britain where all the roads travelled on are closed - which has angered some locals.

Tacks were strewn on a section of the race, bursting hundreds of tyres. Police said it was a reckless act and it was fortunate no-one was hurt.

Cyclists ended up with damaged tyres and the event had to be stopped but organisers cleared the road and the race was completed.

The winner Veli-Matti Raikkonen - who is originally from Finland and is a member of Aberdeen's Granite City racing team - was one of those who suffered a puncture after riding over the tacks.

A spokeswoman for the race said organisers were now working with Tayside Police to discover what had happened.

She said: "The obstruction is a safety matter and it is one the organisers take very seriously."

The lead group of riders suffered punctures on a section of road at Innerhadden and Schiehallion - about 43 miles into the course - and hundreds of other cyclists suffered punctures as they approached the area.

The spokeswoman added: "It is really not acceptable that this kind of behaviour is allowed to happen.

"The organisers identified the area, stopped the cyclists who were coming up to it to minimise the number who were affected, and they also dealt with the punctures very, very quickly."

A spokesman for Tayside Police said: "It was fortunate no-one was injured as a result of this irresponsible behaviour. Uniformed and detective officers are carrying out inquiries in the area and are following a positive line of inquiry."

'Disgusting act'

The event has been running for several years and has developed into the Perthshire Cycling Festival, but has brought protests over the disruption caused by the three-hour Etape Caledonia.

Some campaigners are angry because they believe their freedom of movement is being restricted, visitors may be put off coming to the area, affecting tourism and business, and locals could be prevented from getting to church.

Peter Hounam, from the Anti Closed Road Event (Acre) group, said: "Acre is against the closure of roads for cycle events in our area, we do not object to cyclists or people taking part in events.

"We don't condone what has happened, but it shows there is real frustration from people who feel the authorities are not listening to them."

He said the event discouraged tourists because of the road closures and that it did not bring the kind of sustainable tourism needed in Perthshire, as many of the participants only stayed overnight.

But organiser Kathy James, who runs a bed and breakfast in Aberfeldy, said the race brings millions of pounds to the area.

She told BBC Scotland: "What they've done is they've spread, from Rannoch down to us, tiny, tiny carpet tacks - I've got one - they've just spread the road with them.

"There's a chap outside who came off his bike, there's been a lot of people coming off their bikes and basically they had to stop the race further up.

"This area relies on tourism, it disgusts me as a local, I just think there's no logic behind it."

Biggest event

Finance Secretary and North Tayside MSP John Swinney also expressed disgust over the incident.

He added: "This is a highly dangerous act which could have brought serious injury to people on the event."

Alun Pugh, a former member of the Welsh Assembly, travelled to Scotland for the race.

He said: "It's just really, really sad because this is the biggest cycling event for amateur mass participation cyclists in the whole of the UK.

"It very, very disappointing indeed that a small number of people have chosen to disrupt and wreck it."

The event raises cash for Macmillan Cancer Support and the charity estimated it would raise £225,000 this year to help fund its work.

=============================

When I read that story I interpreted it as being perpetrated by someone/a group that are miserable ****s and can't deal with some roads being closed for a unique event one day out of three hundred and sixty-five days in the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy198 View Post
      When I read that story I interpreted it as being perpetrated by someone/a group that are miserable ****s and can't deal with some roads being closed for a unique event one day out of three hundred and sixty-five days in the year.
      I read it as in interesting use of direct action. Actually I dont mean interesting : I mean despicable.

Comment

It is the only cycle event in Britain where all the roads travelled on are closed

I can't condone the action to put tacks on the road, but OTOH, I can sympathise with the locals anger because of the disruption and inconvenience.

Surely a compromise could have been reached to keep some roads open for local / emergency traffic ?
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

What a miserable little island this is. In France, Italy et al this kind of event is applauded.

No doubt all the retarded grunts that inhabit this board will be along shortly to applaud this.

Raises money for Macmillan cancer as well.

Comment

Cyclists everywhere should be recycled into something useful, preferably using a mincer.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
              What a miserable little island this is. In France, Italy et al this kind of event is applauded.
              Well, you still get the odd kill joy everywhere, and it only takes one or two...

In Denmark we abandoned one race when it became clear a horse riding instructor was taking horses + children back and forth across the course, obviously making it extremely dangerous for everyone.

In Germany there were sheep driven onto the single track.

On a race in America it was found someone had removed the supports from a small bridge.

Then there are car drivers who force their way through the barriers and onto the track, often with fatal results.

And just about everywhere people take dogs along, unleash them just as the riders appear, and send them running down the track at or after the riders.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                Well, you still get the odd kill joy everywhere, and it only takes one or two...

In Denmark we abandoned one race when it became clear a horse riding instructor was taking horses + children back and forth across the course, obviously making it extremely dangerous for everyone.

In Germany there were sheep driven onto the single track.

On a race in America it was found someone had removed the supports from a small bridge.

Then there are car drivers who force their way through the barriers and onto the track, often with fatal results.

And just about everywhere people take dogs along, unleash them just as the riders appear, and send them running down the track at or after the riders.

It doesn't make it any better to see these sort of kill joys are worldwide.

Comment

From what Mr T says, it is evident that there is a considerable amount of unhappiness with regrards to cyclist's activities.

One has to stop and wonder, why ?

No smoke without fire and all that perhaps ?
                  Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Build more dedicated cycle tracks. Everyone benefits.

Where will the money come from? Err, how about using some the billions taken in fuel duty, road tax (rising to £400 a year for many cars soon) and showroom taxes.

Comment

Working...
                    X