• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Am I being stupid here ? or what

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I being stupid here ? or what

UK is an abbreviation for United Kingdom, right ?

SQL is an acronym for Structured Query Language, right ?

so we have abbreviations and Acronyms, where the heck does I.D. come into this. I mean what IS it.

Do I worry too much about trivial things?

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Identification Document

Comment

or I Dentification
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

so we have abbreviations and Acronyms, where the heck does I.D. come into this. I mean what IS it.

Not a bit. Things like that are important. Come to think of it, why are the words abbreviation and acronym so long? It would make more sense to talk about "abs" and "ACs".
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Not a bit. Things like that are important. Come to think of it, why are the words abbreviation and acronym so long? It would make more sense to talk about "abs" and "ACs".
          Or, indeed NAB. TLTAI. C2TOI, YRTWRDSAB&ACSLNG?

Perhaps because those of us who grew up with the English language won't understand what you're on about if you abbreviate everything.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

Well you are not completely stupid.....

UK is similar to SQL in that it is an acronym not an abreviation

Id or ID is an abreviation of Identity (or Identification).

I.D. implies that its the initial leters of two words (acronym) but its not if its as in ID Card......
            if I.D. was being used to refer to the Identification Department then it would be correct.......... (not least because IdD would be so wrong)

Does that Help?

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Let's not even get into the spelling of dyslexia ...
              Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

People who refer to a "NIC card" should be shot!
                Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

Originally posted by wc2 View Post
                  Correct!

It should be an NIC card
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by wc2 View Post
                    and pin number
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X