• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Did anyone read this in The Sun

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone read this in The Sun

Funnily enough, this was a role I was approached about (this guys replacement I assume) and put forward for - only to hear nothing more

Originally posted by The Sun
    A CONTRACTOR has lost a job at bailed-out ROYAL BANK of SCOTLAND — because he owes BT £185.
    The bank that fell £24billion into the red last year and was propped up by £33billion of Government funding told Nick Morris he had failed a credit check.

The 37-year-old had fought off hundreds of rivals to be earmarked for a £400-a-day role.

He told Sun City: “I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I could maybe understand it if there were concerns about fraud, but I’d passed their terrorism and fraud checks.

“Given what has happened at RBS, I think it’s just utter hypocrisy.”

He added: “I’ve even got my current account with them — and I’ve never been overdrawn.” Nick worked as an IT project planner with the Renault Formula One team until being laid off at the end of December.

He is still in dispute with BT over the £185 bill — for broadband — but was unaware it had affected his credit score.
    The RBS job would have seen him work on the integration of ABN AMRO, the Dutch bank bought when Sir Fred Goodwin was RBS boss two years ago.

The position came with a £180-a-night hotel allowance and free flights to and from Amsterdam. Nick said: “I worked at RBS years ago and the perks are much better now, which seems staggering given the taxpayer owns them.”

RBS told Sun City it was “common practice” within the banking industry to check prospective employee’s credit history.

A spokesman added: “We have a duty of care to protect our customers.”
    Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
    I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

He is still in dispute with BT over the £185 bill — for broadband — but was unaware it had affected his credit score.
    If he manages to dispute this, he's in for a tasty little amount of damages for BT. Contract rate x length of initial contract.
    "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
      If he manages to dispute this, he's in for a tasty little amount of damages for BT. Contract rate x length of initial contract.
      No chance mate - not a hope in hell.

HTH

Comment

The 37-year-old had fought off hundreds of rivals to be earmarked for a £400-a-day role.

Could be the new fight club.
        Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post

Could be the new fight club.
          To be honest, £400 a day in Amsterdam would be the equivelant of locking a rich alkie in a pub

HTH

Comment

A spokesman added: “We have a duty of care to protect our customers.”

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by tino View Post
              No chance mate - not a hope in hell.
              Not at all. If BT have recorded a default notice against his credit file (which they can do without having to go to the courts) and it turns out to be erroneous, then that's libellous. If the only reason said chap didn't get the job was for that default, that's quantifiable loss. Res Ipsa Loquitur
              "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Not at all. If BT have recorded a default notice against his credit file (which they can do without having to go to the courts) and it turns out to be erroneous, then that's libellous. If the only reason said chap didn't get the job was for that default, that's quantifiable loss. Res Ipsa Loquitur
                However, his account WAS in default. It will have been in the T&C's of his contract with BT and I'm sure that the default will be removed once satisfied or deemed to be erroneous

HTH

Comment

...I am still struggling with the concept of "reading something" in The Sun!
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Yup, got it in one. With a bit of luck he'll take them to the cleaners.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X