• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wilkinson's gone to Toulon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wilkinson's gone to Toulon

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle6314682.ece

Good move?

Will he ever be fit again?

I hope so. He's a brilliant player and a real example, (a back that I admire!?!?) and now he gets stick from Newcastle fans for trying to get his career back on track. I for one would prefer to see JW playing fly half for England with a walking stick than most of the competition.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    He might as well sit on their bench as anyone elses.

His career is over.

A true great of the sport, but he is never going to get back to full fitness and his in/out status in the England job is going to disrupt bringing on a replacement.
    Love to see him play and even not fully fit he is better than most but I think it is time to face facts and look to the future.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
      He might as well sit on their bench as anyone elses.

His career is over.

A true great of the sport, but he is never going to get back to full fitness and his in/out status in the England job is going to disrupt bringing on a replacement.
      Love to see him play and even not fully fit he is better than most but I think it is time to face facts and look to the future.
      England need to train up a replacement anyway, but I just wonder whether his string of injuries has been bad luck or in the nature of his game. The guy plays like a flanker in defense, but modern flankers are 16 stone or more with shoulders the size of an African elephant and a personalized chair at the physio. Maybe if he could play with a slightly more hardworking back row he could let them to the tackling for him and concentrate on his attacking game.

Comment

Sadly I think he's finished as a regular international, but I wouldn't rule out a swansong between injuries. None of the alternatives have grabbed his position by the scruff of the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          England need to train up a replacement anyway, but I just wonder whether his string of injuries has been bad luck or in the nature of his game. The guy plays like a flanker in defense, but modern flankers are 16 stone or more with shoulders the size of an African elephant and a personalized chair at the physio. Maybe if he could play with a slightly more hardworking back row he could let them to the tackling for him and concentrate on his attacking game.
          I can just hear the howls of contempt if he pulled out of tackles. The nature of the modern game is that you need to tackle hard whether you're a lead-head forward (sorry Mich) or a good-with-colours back. I vaguely recall from my old playing days that technique will save a lot of pain (admittedly said from a comfy chair.... )

Comment

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
            I can just hear the howls of contempt if he pulled out of tackles. The nature of the modern game is that you need to tackle hard whether you're a lead-head forward (sorry Mich) or a good-with-colours back. I vaguely recall from my old playing days that technique will save a lot of pain (admittedly said from a comfy chair.... )
            Technique counts but these days the hits are so hard you’ll still knacker your shoulders along the way anyway. A good fly half talks with his back row a lot and arranges things so that the space between him and the forwards is covered so that he doesn’t have to break himself up. Mind you, he’s dependent on the quality of back row players around him, and despite Tom Croft’s talent, England haven’t found anyone with the ability of Dallaglio, Back and Richard Hill in years.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              Sadly I think he's finished as a regular international, but I wouldn't rule out a swansong between injuries. None of the alternatives have grabbed his position by the scruff of the neck.
              Cipriani is left out of the squad for Argentina. Good sign that Martin Johnson doesn't like bulltulipters and that there's a place for JW if he gets himself back into action.

AND STEVE THOMPSON IS BACK!

Comment

Steve Thompson? So the rumours are true - they've rebuilt him.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  Steve Thompson? So the rumours are true - they've rebuilt him.
                  Yep. Good news. He's so bloody huge nobody else needs to shove.

Apparently he was coaching in France after he'd retired with a neck injury and went for a check up at the doctor, who said he'd completely healed and could play again. So he did, starting in Brive's 2nd XV and working his way back.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

A true great of the sport,
                    Just another unimaginitive NH flyhalf who could kick and was ok behind a dominant set of forwards.

Personally I think the Super 14/Tri-Nations has loads more talented flyhalves. Am looking forward to the Lions returning from SA with nothing but a free suntan.

Comment

Working...
                    X