• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Divorce while a contractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Divorce while a contractor?

Hi Mrs Pleomax has said she wants a divorce as I never show her affection any more! We have three children 6yo, 3 yo & 1 yo.

I dont want that but she has asked me to come to the Marital home this evening to discuss some things.

Now the question I have thinking the worse, (I dont want this to happen) is what do i actually earn? I have been living on expenses for the last 6 months and not taking paye at the moment.

Wife is an equal share holder, with the understanding that she would do invoices and paperwork but has managed to do two invoices, out of the 25 which have been issued. Not complaining but just setting the scene.

So can any one point me in the right direction here? I know there will be some of you who will come up with off the wall replies and would expect nothing less, it may life my mood of late.
    Pleomax

This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious as to just how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so ordinary and plain that you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is highly unusual though. Study it and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without any coaching!

Buy an old VW camper and a surfboard, empty the company account and f**k off somewhere sunny.

Otherwise, talk to a solicitor before discussing it with her.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by pleomax View Post
      Hi Mrs Pleomax has said she wants a divorce as I never show her affection any more! We have three children 6yo, 3 yo & 1 yo.

I dont want that but she has asked me to come to the Marital home this evening to discuss some things.

Now the question I have thinking the worse, (I dont want this to happen) is what do i actually earn? I have been living on expenses for the last 6 months and not taking paye at the moment.

Wife is an equal share holder, with the understanding that she would do invoices and paperwork but has managed to do two invoices, out of the 25 which have been issued. Not complaining but just setting the scene.

So can any one point me in the right direction here? I know there will be some of you who will come up with off the wall replies and would expect nothing less, it may life my mood of late.
      Genuinely sorry to hear that mate. Feel really gutted for the kids. Mich is spot on here.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Buy an old VW camper and a surfboard, empty the company account and f**k off somewhere sunny.

Otherwise, talk to a solicitor before discussing it with her.
        I vote for option 1. Do it before she does.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

At this stage, I wouldn't be discussing finances with her. I'd be discussing the marriage, the effect that divorce will have on the children, and so on. See if anything can be salvaged. I must say that I've missed being a full-time dad to my kids.

Meanwhile, you might consider how to get your wife's shares back - maybe she'll do a deal where she gets the house in exchange for the shares?

I'm sure others will have plenty of more specific advice, but one thing I do know from my own experience and that of others is that you need to start thinking clearly and coolly about your own financial future and how to secure it.

IME divorce turns nasty when the subject of money comes up.

If I had my time again: I knew the marriage was heading for the rocks. I should have stuck it out longer while (secretly) making plans for my financial future.

EDIT: basically I'm agreeing with Mich - get the money out!

Comment

Hmm...

Is she saying she wants a divorce, or does she want a divorce? Crucial difference.

If it's for something as tenuous (and solveable) as 'you don't show me affection anymore', and she wants to divorce, I'd suggest that either she has a really trivial view of marriage, or she's lying about the reason.

If she's only saying she wants to split but would stick around if the situation changed (and if you're at fault - you made a demonstrable effort to change), then I'd probably be livid that she's using divorce as a bargaining chip and sad that communications are so poor it's got to this stage... and then have to look long and hard in the mirror and see if she has a point, if it's you that has to change.

How much forewarning have you had? Ages?

If you've been on the rocks for a long time, then have you considered counselling? If this is no surprise and you've seen it coming, then why haven't you extricated her from your finances already?

If this is out of the blue - then it stinks of 'affair' to me. I'd speak softly and try to reconcile up front - while making sure your exit strategy is watertight behind her back.

Only my opinion. I may be completely off the chart.

Comment

"she has asked me to come to the Marital home this evening to discuss some things."

Are you saying you have moved out?

FFS move back in straight away : and do not leave.

For a start you can see more of your kids. And financially it is crucial.

Offer to go to relate : offer to do anything to save things.

Comment

Got no where to put the money, i am looking for a permie role as contracting in my sector has dried up (Non IT remeber). There will be enough in there to last us 5 months (Assuming that i was still living at home etc).

There seems to be no reconcilliation with her, she has been moaning since last saturday when i had a breakdown and she threw me out, about how she has never had her own money, never done any training courses etc.

I pointed out there was never any question about her having money and she has a cash card to the joint account, I told her to do some course last year but she bottled it and didnt even apply, but she forgets that now and says it was all my fault for "getting made redundant" so she couldnt do the courses.

She has said i am not welcome back at the house unless i make an apointment, ffs how harsh is that?

She is the one that has the "friend" thats plays her compliments on the xbox and via mobile, not commited adultery but she is liking the idea that someone is playing her compliments, but forgets the fact that i am running around the country earning money for the business so she can have all the flashy stuff like ipods and expensive speaker systems and looking after the children wheni get home and taking them out at weekends so she has some "free" time.

Maybe i should be like Benny Hill and carry the cash around with me in a carrier bag?
                Pleomax

This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious as to just how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so ordinary and plain that you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is highly unusual though. Study it and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without any coaching!

Comment

Originally posted by pleomax View Post
                  Got no where to put the money, i am looking for a permie role as contracting in my sector has dried up (Non IT remeber). There will be enough in there to last us 5 months (Assuming that i was still living at home etc).

There seems to be no reconcilliation with her, she has been moaning since last saturday when i had a breakdown and she threw me out, about how she has never had her own money, never done any training courses etc.

I pointed out there was never any question about her having money and she has a cash card to the joint account, I told her to do some course last year but she bottled it and didnt even apply, but she forgets that now and says it was all my fault for "getting made redundant" so she couldnt do the courses.

She has said i am not welcome back at the house unless i make an apointment, ffs how harsh is that?

She is the one that has the "friend" thats plays her compliments on the xbox and via mobile, not commited adultery but she is liking the idea that someone is playing her compliments, but forgets the fact that i am running around the country earning money for the business so she can have all the flashy stuff like ipods and expensive speaker systems and looking after the children wheni get home and taking them out at weekends so she has some "free" time.

Maybe i should be like Benny Hill and carry the cash around with me in a carrier bag?
                  What did your breakdown involve? Do you need help?

She has no right to determine who lives at the house. Move back in and DO NOT MOVE BACK OUT.

REmind her she needs to think of the children.

Has she any family/friends who can talk some sense into her?

Comment

It really does depend on the state of your marriage and whether it is

a) possibe to save
                    b) you both want to save

If it's not possible, i'd personally come up with a financial plan with her before she goes down the CSA and solicitor route as usually when it comes to that it ends up costing you a lot more.

Failing that surfing full time does sounds like a lot more fun than this

Comment

Working...
                    X