• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does the contractor lifestyle cause depression/psychotic episodes?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the contractor lifestyle cause depression/psychotic episodes?

Christ on a bike - there's a lot of you who have been quite unwell.

Do you think that's been caused by your contractor lifestyle or would it have happened anyway?
    Yes
    23.81%
    No
    66.67%
    Andyw doesn't know, and neither do I
    9.52%
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

in fact out of all of you who have some episodes do any of you think they were brought by recreational drug use?

Comment

maybe its to do with computers
      Staring at a screen 8hr a day does that to your mind

Comment

No. Being a permie causes depression/psychotic episodes. The contracting lifestyle frees the mind from all that tulip.

Comment

I suspect the life has something to do with it.
          I would also suggest that the way of life is not the only cause and it may have happened anyway.
          If you are susceptable then contracting is likely to bring it on.

Is it more prevelant in contractor circles or are we just hearing about it because we are a small community.
          I have met quite a few who have had breakdowns or have had some sort of addiction.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
            No. Being a permie causes depression/psychotic episodes. The contracting lifestyle frees the mind from all that tulip.
            Hear Hear!

PS. I'm now a permie, but always ready to move on if I feel uncomfortable.
            Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I thought Everyone went to the Doctors on the 2nd Jan and got their contractor inoculations.

No work no pay NO ILLNESS!

Be ill on clientco's time.

What I did find is that if I took time off I'd be ill.
              Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

No.

I think that it's as much to do with nurture as nature.

Comment

Spending months on end working away during the week didn't really do me any favours.

Much happier when in a contract commutable to home. Doesn't always work out that way though does it?
                  I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie View Post
                    Spending months on end working away during the week didn't really do me any favours.

Much happier when in a contract commutable to home. Doesn't always work out that way though does it?
                    I found that when working away I always claimed more hours. and did not have time to be ill or stressed.
                    Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

Working...
                    X