• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Photo Editing Software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photo Editing Software

Afternoon all,

I've never had the time in the past to post process any of my images, but now it looks like I have some spare hours to touch up a few of them. So any recommendations for software?

TIA
    NN
    "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
    "See?"

Photoshop Elements (that's the cheapo version of Photoshop) - A friend of mine has it. He says that all you need to know is available on YouTube (plenty how-to videos). What he can do with it beggars belief - and he's just an amateur enthusiast.

I bought a copy for £25 but haven't used it in anger yet - just noodled.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      Photoshop Elements (that's the cheapo version of Photoshop) - A friend of mine has it. He says that all you need to know is available on YouTube (plenty how-to videos). What he can do with it beggars belief - and he's just an amateur enthusiast.

I bought a copy for £25 but haven't used it in anger yet - just noodled.
      It is true, Photoshop Elements now does all that you are likely to need to do. The big brother version is for professional graphics artists.

I use it, and also Lightzone, which is my preferred program for digital photo post-processing, it lets me get to results with more wow factor more quickly and more intuitively (e.g. to shift a colour cast in Photoshop, use numerical values or sliders on 3 different colour channels; in Lightzone, drag a point about on a colour wheel till it looks right).

Depends on what you want to do (which you mostly don't know yet), but much as I love Lightzone, I'd say that PS Elements is the right answer for most people.

GIMP is free and a great achievement on the part of the open source developers; but also IMHO a good example of how commercial developers scratch the customer's itch, open source developers scratch the developer's itch.

Edit: so if I love Lightzone, why did I then buy PS Elements? For the Healing Brush, and the panorama stitching.
      Last edited by expat; 19 May 2009, 16:28.

Comment

Photoshop is a free download from the Adobe site. All you need is a product key and I have some spare. PM me if you want one. Otherwise you could try Paint.NET, it does everything you could ask for.

Comment

Thanks all,

I've previously used Picassa which was fine for basic tweaking etc, but wanted to move on. Looks like I take a gander at PSE.
          "See?"

Comment

Paint.net does the job for me and is free.

Comment

WTS

I recently purchased PSE and am well please with it, done some nifty photo edits with the minimum of fuss.
              Still Invoicing

Comment

How about http://www.sumopaint.com ?
                "take me to your leader"

Comment

No idea, the site needs flash which client site pc does not have.
                  "See?"

Comment

Ah maybe you need http://portableapps.com/apps/graphic.../gimp_portable then.
                    "take me to your leader"

Comment

Working...
                    X