• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My company have just employed The Hay group to define job roles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My company have just employed The Hay group to define job roles

I have just received the following global email. Does this usually mean redundanices?

"An external consultancy (the Hay Group), which has extensive experience was appointed to ensure all job descriptions were written in a standard and consistent format."

Has anyone had any experience with this company before?

Many thanks

I'm confused?

Are you a Director in your company?

Who has appointed them?

T

Comment

nope was a contractor, now permie.
      The company which i work for has hired them.

Comment

Originally posted by notescontractor View Post
        nope was a contractor, now permie.
        The company which i work for has hired them.
        ...and this would be of interest to a CONTRACTORS forum for why, exactly?
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

now now guys, i was shot down in flames for a similar remark in accountancy. please be a bit more ... agreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
            ...and this would be of interest to a CONTRACTORS forum for why, exactly?
            Depends what this Hay group does. If their main role is to define all the roles to India then it would be of interest. If it's role is to define all roles to their people at the expense of the contractors then it would also be of interest. Unfortunately I don't know either way.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by scotspine View Post
              now now guys, i was shot down in flames for a similar remark in accountancy. please be a bit more ... agreeable.
              Well, I must admit that I was of the same opinion as PM-Junkie, he wasn't rude, just asking the blindingly obvious.

Note to newbies - give a bit of context when you ask these types of questions. A blunt question will illicit a blunt answer.

Anyway, the answer is - Who knows? (but probably yes).

This isn't the recruitment arm of Hays - it'll probably be Hay/McBer who are premier in HR Development.

HB is often brought it after a series of buy-outs/mergers to realign all of the smaller parts of the company into one homogeneous whole, so that a senior software developer in one part of the company does the same type of job in one company as another.

Then they can consolidate and get rid of 'dead wood'.

HB is also used if the company decides on a strategic change of direction. HR can see what jobs they've got too much of and what jobs they need..

Actually then, probably yes - it does mean redundancies. so hopefully you didn't believe the bull that permiedom offered stability and a career structure (you didn't, did you? )
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Although not strictly relevant in this, a contractor forum, the Hay group is a benchmarking outfit - they will look at jobs and compare them with other organisations (HR insultancy).

Most likely they (your employers) are just trying to cover their own backsides by ensuring everyone's complying with equal pay and ops legislation. They sometimes also recommend changes to pay/benefits - a pal of mine once got a company car following a Hay review because their review suggested that people doing equivalent jobs to hers elsewhere would be entitled.

It isn't necessarily a prelude to firings etc., unless of course you have a lot of deadwood or very greedy execs/shareholders in the organisation.

The Hay Group publish pay scales which are used in large parts of the UK Public Sector.

There's quite a bit of moronic HR craptrap on their website
                http://www.haygroup.com/uk/index.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  Most likely they (your employers) are just trying to cover their own backsides by ensuring everyone's complying with equal pay and ops legislation. They sometimes also recommend changes to pay/benefits - a pal of mine once got a company car following a Hay review because their review suggested that people doing equivalent jobs to hers elsewhere would be entitled.

http://www.haygroup.com/uk/index.aspx
                  Yep, that's probably the best the OP can hope for - any straw will do..
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Loads of big co's use Hay grades. It's one of the reasons why they all pay virtually the same these days.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X