• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

P60 Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P60 Question

Hi there,

I contracted from August last year through to 31st March. On 1st April I switched over and signed a one year fixed term contract so in effect became a full time employee of a company.

I filled in and sent off my end of year employer P14 and P35 forms, but couldn't do this until May as I had to wait to finalise my April pay to ensure there was nothing left in the company in case I don't contract again.

I then started wondering about my P60. I couldn't issue myself one through my company as on the 5th April I was in my new job. But they couldn't issue an up to date P60 as at the time they couldn't know my previous employment details as I'd not finalised them myself!

I've now got in touch with their HR and offered to send through a copy of my P14 so that they can use the details to make sure my end of year summary contains the correct numbers.

They've come back and reckon that as they didn't make me any payment in the last tax year they don't have to issue a P60. I thought whoever you are working for on 5th April have to give you a P60? So they should add in the pay from April 1st to April 5th. Without these numbers my self assessment tax return will look odd as I'll have to fill in an employment page but have no numbers for it. They said 'you are not getting any personal allowance set against your earnings, therefore I have enclosed a P46 which I need you to fill in'.

Does anyone know if I should push my employer for a P60 or are they right? If they are right, how can I accurately fill in my self assessment? Does the 5 days pay just get added in to next year and I should ignore it for this year?

Thanks very much for your help.

I believe the tax point for PAYE is the payment date, not when you did the work. Therefore your new employer is correct in saying they did not pay you anything for the previous tax year.

You issue yourself with a P60 which is easy if you have been using the HMRC CD software.

QB.

Comment

Working...
    X