• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is IT getting too hard?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is IT getting too hard?

As an analyst/programmer/software engineer involved in all stages of the software life cycle, with all the processes, charts, diagrams, case tools, software, databases, etc knowledge involved (the list is endless and getting longer), before coding even starts, isn't it a bit much to be expected to know all about control xxx.nn in latest software product yyy.nn and be able to be able to communicate with actual people and know the business inside out? Is everyone just taking the p1ss now? It never used to be this hard, all you had to do was think. Now you have to be an encyclopaedia too.

I think I will have a breakdown.

i think we ought to have a special thread for that.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Is everyone just taking the p1ss now?
      Yes. Stop trying to know it all and learn to blag it.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Yes. Stop trying to know it all and learn to blag it.
        More to learn Is the blaggers guide available for download?

Comment

I've progressed simply by saying 'I can' when a project / problem / issue comes up. There's been sticky moments of course, but, who dares wins....

I never do courses, home study, or late working. I just make it my business to learn as much as I can during the working day. Complexity is good as long as you don't let it break you down.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
            I've progressed simply by saying 'I can' when a project / problem / issue comes up. There's been sticky moments of course, but, who dares wins....

I never do courses, home study, or late working. I just make it my business to learn as much as I can during the working day. Complexity is good as long as you don't let it break you down.
            Totally agree - I love my job - people are paying me to find out things they should already know - what can be better than that? A lifetime of learning - great!

Comment

unless you are lazy or unlucky most people will be less informed than you. Someone has to buy TV dinners & the Sun after all.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                As an analyst/programmer/software engineer involved in all stages of the software life cycle, with all the processes, charts, diagrams, case tools, software, databases, etc knowledge involved (the list is endless and getting longer), before coding even starts, isn't it a bit much to be expected to know all about control xxx.nn in latest software product yyy.nn and be able to be able to communicate with actual people and know the business inside out? Is everyone just taking the p1ss now? It never used to be this hard, all you had to do was think. Now you have to be an encyclopaedia too. ..
                WHS - I actively try and avoid getting involved with most of that academic rubbish. These fads have been coming in and out of fashion for at least thirty years now, and most are woefully misused (or unusable) and a positive obstruction to most small to medium projects.

All you need is a few decent cribsheats to mug up on before interviews, so you can at least sound the part to daft doctrinaire permies who lap it all up.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I tend to tell the client that although I have no experience in X,Y or Z I have used similar tools A, B and C. I understand the fundamentals of what the tool does.
                  I also say that every different project I have worked on has had similar tools and picked those up quickly.

It has worked for me so far (3 failed interviews in 10 years).
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Only two things are important now in IT: quickness and cheapness.
                    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
                    X