• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Racial discrimination against non-EU job candidates ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racial discrimination against non-EU job candidates ?

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere but I hadn't seen it :-

http://www.clickliverpool.com/busine...-law-firm.html

"Student scores victory over top law firm

A law student single-handedly took-on a top legal firm and won a landmark ruling that will open-up British job vacancies to foreign applicants.

The case won by banking studies graduate Ash Purohit means UK firms must now consider all candidates on merit, even if they lack a UK work permit."

I can't find any news about this landmark case anywhere - does anyone know anything about it ?

Have I read this right - anyone from anywhere in the world can go for any job in this country, regardless of work permit status, and if they get it then the company must then sponsor them for a work permit ? And if they don't then it's racial discrimination ? Or have I mis-read things ?

The were using the UK Borders Agency as a shield for acts of discrimination
    Imagine that, using the rules of a fascist organization to claim that you're not racist.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

A law student single-handedly took-on a top legal firm and won a landmark ruling that will open-up British job vacancies to foreign applicants.
      I'm stunned by this.

Britain has job vacancies?

Comment

I don't rate this chaps chances of actually getting a work permit though. There must be dozens of equally well qualified people from the EU applying for that position, hence a work permit will be refused...
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          I don't rate this chaps chances of actually getting a work permit though. There must be dozens of equally well qualified people from the EU applying for that position, hence a work permit will be refused...

If the employer can show that they advertised the position, they interviewed suitable candidates, made offers and this chap was the one they selected..then yes he will get the work permit.

The Home Office just goes down their check list...they don't check that there are other potentials..just that everything was done to their rules.
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
            If the employer can show that they advertised the position, they interviewed suitable candidates, made offers and this chap was the one they selected..then yes he will get the work permit.

The Home Office just goes down their check list...they don't check that there are other potentials..just that everything was done to their rules.

There is no automatic right to a work permit as HMG now have a strict quota system. A work permit can thus be refused even if somebody has a job offer. Otherwise, for instance, any company run by indians in the uk could offer a job to an indian national in order to get them into the country and bypass immigration or asylum laws.

Comment

And that isn't really a bad thing for UK in general. If said chap actually proved he had better skills, what UK is getting is cream of the crop from all over the world, also known as brain drain in the coutries deprived of such chaps.

Comment

Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
                And that isn't really a bad thing for UK in general. If said chap actually proved he had better skills, what UK is getting is cream of the crop from all over the world, also known as brain drain in the coutries deprived of such chaps.

That is a bad thing if it deprives an indigenous worker of a job, which of course it would in a period of high unemployment, thus putting yet more burden on the taxpayer.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                  There is no automatic right to a work permit as HMG now have a strict quota system. A work permit can thus be refused even if somebody has a job offer. Otherwise, for instance, any company run by indians in the uk could offer a job to an indian national in order to get them into the country and bypass immigration or asylum laws.
                  Never heard of that..they have a new sponsorship scheme for employers that's all I've heard of...I'll need to verify this.

As for the latter part of your assertion...there are many Indian IT companies here doing the old 'inter-company' transfer WP..which don't have to meet the same requirements.

Comment

Never heard of that..they have a new sponsorship scheme for employers that's all I've heard of...I'll need to verify this.

As for the latter part of your assertion...there are many Indian IT companies here doing the old 'inter-company' transfer WP..which don't have to meet the same requirements.

Inter company transfers are a different issue. We are talking here about jobs advertised in the UK.

Comment

Working...
                    X