• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The weekend starts shortly

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The weekend starts shortly

The weekend starts this evening with watching Bremen vs. Shaktar in the pub as tomorrow is a public holiday in Germany meaning most people take the Friday off as well. For the religious types here then tomorrow is Ascension Day but in Germany it is more commonly known as Vatertag (Vadder Dag) which was originally Herrentag. This means that men, and recently more women seem to be along for the ride, will be seen in towns around Germany, from around midday onwards, getting plastered. Normally groups will be see with a trolley in tow full of booze for the walk in between visits to various pubs and other types of hostelries. This year the German minister for families (and she is one to talk, 7 kids yet hardly spends time with her family) has suggested that men should stay at home and spend time with their kids and instead of booze, perhaps they could receive gifts of flowers and chocolates, silly cow.

I for one will do as I do each year, traverse the Ludwigshohe to the hut at the top (the Ludwigsturm) where there will be music and beer and schnapps and sausages at midday. After partaking of the festivities I shall then roll down the hill, much like last year, and visit a pub or two. Friday will be spent doing sod all around the house (perhaps some shopping seeing as I've just been paid for some work last year) and then I shall see what the weekend brings (probably football and Apfelwein.)
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

My client co has wednesday afternoon off as well. But I'm working anyway... ker-ching.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Aye, all the permies here are too busy for any meetings towards the end of the day. I expect the office to be a ghost town by about 3pm.

I, of course, shall be invoicing for the whole day.

Comment

This seems like one European suggestion that we should definately take on, it's be worth being in Europe for on it's own!
        'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
          This seems like one European suggestion that we should definately take on, it's be worth being in Europe for on it's own!
          Not really. I think that this is more of a German thing. If a holiday falls on a weekday, regardless of which one, then that day is a holiday. Therefore if it falls on a Thursday, its not moved to the Friday like in the UK, so you either come into work on the Friday or take it is a holiday. If it falls on a weekend day then that's it, you don't get it moved to a Friday or Monday like the UK.
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

But Ascension Thursday is always on a Thursday.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              But Ascension Thursday is always on a Thursday.
              Yeah but Tag der deutschen Einheit is 3rd October which could fall on a Sunday therefore no day off in the week whereas if it feel on a Wednesday, I would have to take Wednesday off.

Comment

I'll be working tomorrow, from home. Nice billable hours and no travel.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  Yeah but Tag der deutschen Einheit is 3rd October which could fall on a Sunday therefore no day off in the week whereas if it feel on a Wednesday, I would have to take Wednesday off.
                  This stuff caught me out when I first came to Germany. Bank holiday was a Saturday. TLG goes shopping ..and ....... everywhere is shut for the holiday.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                    This stuff caught me out when I first came to Germany. Bank holiday was a Saturday. TLG goes shopping ..and ....... everywhere is shut for the holiday.
                    In Algiers the restaurants close for lunch. Something to do with trade unions.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X