• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear: House prices continue long slide, says website

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh dear: House prices continue long slide, says website

House prices continue long slide, says website
    By Rhys Blakely

House prices fell for the sixteenth consecutive month in October and will continue to slide as buyers maintain leverage over the market, Hometrack, the property website, said today.

Last month, the average house price fell by 0.1 per cent to £160,700, compared with a peak of £167,700 in June. According to Hometrack, prices have fallen by 3.5 per cent in the past 12 months.

The Hometrack figures come ahead of October numbers Nationwide and HBOS. The two lenders reported conflicting views of the housing market last in September with Nationwide reporting a 0.2 per cent fall in price and HBOS reporting a 1.2 per cent increase.

"Excess supply continues to plague the market," John Wrigglesworth, Hometrack’s housing economist, said. "Price declines are inevitable over the next few months." (AtW: Excess supply? But I thought there was a shortage of houses??!?!?!)

Mr Wrigglesworth expects house prices to fall 4 per cent this year. However, prices will improve by the middle of next year, assuming stable interest rates and unemployment levels, he added.

The number of buyers registering with estate agents rose by 2.1 per cent this month, meaning there had been an increase of more than 22 per cent over the course of the year. Sales rose by 5.9 per cent in October.

The number of prospective buyers increased by 2.1 per cent in October, while transactions grew by 5.9 per cent on the month, a sign of growing confidence in the market, Hometrack said.

However, the number of properties for sale rose by 1.9 per cent on the month.

The heaviest price falls were in Wiltshire, down 0.5 per cent, and the West Midlands, South Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire, all down 0.3 per cent.

Haha

Mr Wrigglesworth, thats a great name.

So prices fell in Wiltshire by 0,5 %. Not exactly cataclysmic is it?

I would put more valence on my horoscope in the Sun than these guys reports.
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan
      So prices fell in Wiltshire by 0,5 %. Not exactly cataclysmic is it?
      0.5% drop is always bigger than 0.5% raise that lead to that point.

The important thing is not by how much house prices drop every month, but the fact that they go down in a sustained fashion. This means people won't borrow more money thinking that next month their wealth will increase due to house price inflation.

Personally I prefer this long slowdown rather than major crash (yes really).

Comment

No what we want is a major

CRASH

I'm alright Jack

Comment

I think there comes a point where people actually stop and think:

"Is this ex-council flat in gangland east London REALLY worth a quarter of a million pounds?"

Comment

Originally posted by AtW

Personally I prefer this long slowdown rather than major crash (yes really).
            Either way, in 25 years you or someone who thinks like you will finish paying my mortgage anyway.
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

It all depends on who you believe.
              http://www.easier.com/view/News/Prop...cle-29293.html

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                House prices continue long slide, says website
                Website? ... And that was the most important they could make it sound!?

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
                  Either way, in 25 years you or someone who thinks like you will finish paying my mortgage anyway.
                  I'd rather pay rent for 25 years and have disposable income to live well all this time, than pay a lot more every month in morgage, then "own" house in 25 years just in time for heart attack. What you living for - owning a house? I have much higher aspirations.

Comment

Yes, like having a heart attack. Probably brought on by the realisation that you are penniless and homeless.

Comment

Working...
                    X