• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Miserable without a cause

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miserable without a cause

What to do when one is feeling so miserable without a cause, I have a good contract at the moment, really get on with my co-workers, the project is quite interesting and I am given the chance to learn new things. At home things are OK, nothing out of the usual. So why am I feeling so miserable? And how can I snap out of it?

Originally posted by zamzummim View Post
    What to do when one is feeling so miserable without a cause, I have a good contract at the moment, really get on with my co-workers, the project is quite interesting and I am given the chance to learn new things. At home things are OK, nothing out of the usual. So why am I feeling so miserable? And how can I snap out of it?
    Go on a long holiday to somewhere you've never been, like Australia, New Zealand, South America.

You need an adventure.

Comment

Go on a long weekend class A bender, dance your cares away, hook up with some random chick for casual sex. Used to work for me.

Sure next week you'll feel worse for a few days, but it'll be worth it

Ahh, the good old days.
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Exercise makes you feel good.
        Originally posted by cailin maith
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
          Exercise makes you feel good.
          So do class A's and sex

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

You know what in the last two years I only had 2.5 weeks holiday, and not all at once, 3 days here, 4 days there.

You may be right that I need a holiday, or maybe I am longing for some excitement in my home/work life, but with the current market I thought I better stay in my contract until it ends in about 3 months and then I can go on a holiday, but then again, is it wise to go and spend all the money knowing I may not get a role for a very long time?

I am a bit surprised with me feeling low, its not even the winter, the weather hasn’t been too bad at all, so I am supposed to be feeling a lot more upbeat.

Comment

On a serious note, sounds to me like you need to stop worrying about the money as much and worry about yourself - you're in desperate need of some time off I think.

Take 3 weeks off, or screw it and leave the contract and go travel for a few months somewhere cheap.

Comment

You know what in the last two years I only had 2.5 weeks holiday, and not all at once, 3 days here, 4 days there.

You may be right that I need a holiday, or maybe I am longing for some excitement in my home/work life, but with the current market I thought I better stay in my contract until it ends in about 3 months and then I can go on a holiday, but then again, is it wise to go and spend all the money knowing I may not get a role for a very long time?

I am a bit surprised with me feeling low, its not even the winter, the weather hasn’t been too bad at all, so I am supposed to be feeling a lot more upbeat.
                That is correct stay in your contract. If you need me to help out by doing the holiday for you let me know always here to help out where I can and I am sure you will have a smile on you face knowing that I am on the beach of your dreams. WHen are you going to pay for all this??

Comment

Although the money is important for me (got a mortgage and a family to support) its not my main worry, as I said I am actually in a good contract - we all know how rare good contracts are - by good I mean people and quality of work.

Snaw good idea if I was single, with family, don't think we could do any long travels on the cheap, heck we can't even go for a Sunday outing on the cheap.

Comment

You need a break.

If you don't want to / can't take time out in the current contract then start planning what you are going to do when it finishes. Top of the list is *not* looking for another contract immediately.

Plan ahead to take a decent holiday. Doesn't have to be some 3 months adventure trip, but plan on taking a month off and have two weeks of that as a family holiday somewhere away from home.

Just the act of sitting down, planning and booking it will help you feel better and give you somthing to look forward to.

If you still feel this way after you get back from the holiday think about going to see your GP and getting some anti-depressants.

What you are describing is classic mild to moderate depression. "Snapping out of it" is not an option, nor is listening to those around you who may be telling you to buck up and asking what you have to be miserable about.

If it's mild than a good rest and a holiday may well do the trick and sort it out. If it turns out to be a bit more than that then get some help for it and it *will* get better.
                    Last edited by DaveB; 21 May 2009, 09:21.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X