• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

From out of the shadows...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From out of the shadows...

<deleted>
    Last edited by Bwana; 2 June 2022, 16:01.
    Bwana

I think you are confusing me with someone who gives a tulip.

Comment

**** me.
      Thank you for your life story, Bwana - I don't think I could summarize my life in 5 paragraphs like that
      Quite interesting tho'. So you'd rather be honest and poor than blagging and rich.
      Chico, what time is it?

Comment

I don't think I could summarize my life in 5 paragraphs like that
        I know you'd struggle to fill 2 Ms Loos.

Comment

I'd struggle ti fill 2 interesting ones, but I could fill 10,000 of little facts and things that would probably bore the life out of you!
          Chico, what time is it?

Comment

The IT gig is not for everyone more so contracting. It is refreshing to hear a frank and personal experience. It makes a change from the useful BS that is posted here by others in an attempt "to big themselves up". Maybe other lurkers might emerge from the dark and share their experiences.......maybe.
            Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Originally posted by Chico
              The IT gig is not for everyone more so contracting. It is refreshing to hear a frank and personal experience. It makes a change from the useful BS that is posted here by others in an attempt "to big themselves up". Maybe other lurkers might emerge from the dark and share their experiences.......maybe.
              Here Here!

Bwana - by the way some people do care.

Could you not rebuild on .NET and catch the next wave?

Perhaps even go to India to retrain, have a break, adventure and come back fighting?

The self-esteem can take a big knock in a down-turn, but compared to some of the people on this board I am pretty sure you could do a better job.
              Last edited by ancient; 24 October 2005, 17:59.

Comment

Bwana - by the way some people do care.
                What is this? New CUK - A caring environment of fairness for hard working contractors.

Fecks sake.

Comment

You're all bastards!!! Bwana is clearly a really great guy, intelligent, witty, most peceptive. Tell me again Bwana, how great my stories are.

PS Drivel continues on www.xoggoth.org
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Permidom vs contracting is really a choice between stability combined with a moderate predictable income vs instability with possibly much larger income, which can be very unpredictable.

The first part of your story (up till agency going bust and the struggle to get back on the market) is actually alot more common than you might think, quite a few contractors ended up on the dole during 2001-2003, in fact so many that i heard from a friends gf that works at the local job center that they actually added it as an official category alongside plumber,lawer, bar steward.

Most also had been earning huge money in previous years but now had nothing to show for it.

Most after a time went back to permiedom or had a career change, some are still on dole and a few, very limited few managed to get back on their feet and now contracting again and hopefully all learned the lessons and are doing what any sensible mainly cash buisness do, reinvesting a large portion of their income to protect their ass's against the next hicup...though funny enough i don't think so...some people never learn.

While we might sometimes want to laugh at those becoming shopkeepers as a side line we really should not, because they are on the right track, even if it is not a particular path we ourselves would pick

As to getting back "on the wagon" and getting back contracting (or even getting into it in the first place), thick skin and never ending self beleif is mandatory, those without it are best not applying.
                    Last edited by Not So Wise; 24 October 2005, 19:11.

Comment

Working...
                    X