• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Smaller is better?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smaller is better?

Sent my CV off to an agency this afternoon, an apparently small independent I hadn't heard of before, about a position they'd advertised and got a call back a few minutes later. Quite a quite pleasant surprise as it turned out.

Why?, because for once amongst other things I was told the clients name without any hassle, didn't get scammed for references, was told the rate they were looking to pay rather than being asked 'how low will you go', and - something I haven't seen in a while - the agents actual phone number showed up on my mobile!

Occasionally it seems smaller can be better...at least in some ways.

So which do you guys (gals?) prefer dealing with, small independent agencies or the big guys such as...well you know the names.

Originally posted by Joe Black
    [...]
    So which do you guys (gals?) prefer dealing with, small independent agencies or the big guys such as...well you know the names.
    The big agencies are awful while the small ones will certainly treat you much better. However, most of the small agencies don't have many good clients, hence....
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

not finding the big agencies that bad - I guess some are, but some big ones are good too (can't believe i'm saying that i am sure i'll be quoted on this)

I haven't met a bad small agency yet, I have to say
      Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Size doesn't matter

The last small agency I dealt with ended up in the High Court with the agent in tears as to pay the court fees in addition to monies owed meant he lost his beloved BMW. Served him right.

The last big agency I dealt with was 7 days from he High Court when they paid up.

I don't care if they are big or small cos if they mess around I will clobber 'em.

Never had problem with a medium size agency though

Comment

yes,

small is great....

until they have cash flow problems

Milan.

Comment

True, on a list of plus and minuses that would be one of them. Big agencies tend to have sufficient numbers of clients and income so such problems don't generally arise...
            Last edited by Joe Black; 25 October 2005, 09:58.

Comment

aye Joe,

that's what you said,

Milan.
              Last edited by milanbenes; 25 October 2005, 10:01.

Comment

Thats what I said...

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
                  big ones are good too
                  ahhh!!! so size counts for you then
                  Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Why not name the agency concerned? Praise where it's due 'n all that.
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X