• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sick Parrot.........

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sick Parrot.........

With over a million wildfowl visiting the UK over winter, government plans to change bird quarantine rules may prove to be ineffective?

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/advice/ducks/index.asp

I feed local mallards every day -- does this move me into the risk group?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
      I feed local mallards every day -- does this move me into the risk group?
      Not sure, I was worried about my local Canada Geese, who I feed also, but apparently they have been permanent residents within the UK since the 17 Century and tend not to migrate.

Not sure if Mooshoo and crispy duck with pancakes are now off the menu?
      Last edited by ancient; 24 October 2005, 18:25.

Comment

That link is very educational, read up with great pleasure -- this year one duck family had very cute baby ducks, hope next year there will be more of them, its just one street away from my rented house, that sure is better than "owning" house in a sh1thole

Comment

Who's a pretty boy then...
          http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/3869815.stm

Parrots are now naturalised in the SE of England.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn

Looks like illegal immigration is a bigger problem than we thought...
            Last edited by ancient; 24 October 2005, 21:59.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn

They have been for some years, over a thousand Ring Necked Parakeets go in to roost in the trees at Walton Rugby Club in the evening. There are also small populations of Alexandrine Parakeets around the southern half of the country but they will probably achieve Norwegan Blue status if we have the promised hard winter.

That hard winter is the real risk factor. If there is a continental freeze up, tens of thousands of Wigeon, Pochard etc from the eastern populations will leave their normal wintering sites and head for our, relatively, milder shores.

Of course, even then, infected birds have to mix with a domestic flock which then have to be intensively handled by a human who is already suffering from a human influenza virus before any real risk occurs.

Comment

We've got several hundred in Bushy Park (next to Hampton Court). They fly over every morning and evening, it's quite an amazing sight.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

"That parrot is a dead parrot, an ex-parrot. Gone to meet his maker."

No - don't worry sir, he's just got flu.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
                    We've got several hundred in Bushy Park (next to Hampton Court). They fly over every morning and evening, it's quite an amazing sight.
                    They are noisy buggers though.

Comment

Working...
                    X